Summertime Concert: Kacey Musgraves, Billy Currington, Lady Antebellum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I was sitting in a plastic chair and for the first time this year my legs were sticking to the seat.  It’s finally summer, I thought to myself.  As if to prove my point, Kacey Musgraves strutted on stage in printed short-shorts to start off the Lady Antebellum concert.  Musgraves’ voice is different from that of many singers: velvety, lovely to hear over the radio and amazing in person.  Musgraves didn’t need any effects, or any technological help. Instead, she stood on stage and sang her story to us. 

Billy Currington’s mopheaded hair signaled the beginning of the next act in the concert.  Musgraves sang while we gorged on kettle corn and a myriad of Budweiser products.  It was Currington’s job to get us on our feet.  He played to the rednecks in the audience, and to those who wanted to embrace their redneck spirit for the evening.  With his bouncing energy and upbeat songs he prepared us well for Lady Antebellum. 

I shrieked and jumped out of my seat when Lady Antebellum came on stage. They started off with my favorite song of theirs, “Compass”.  It was a smart choice of them to play one of their more popular and recent songs because it immediately got everyone on their feet and singing along.  A little girl next to me stood on the seat in front of her and leaned against her dad. The light from the stage and the really cool projection Lady A had going lit up her face, which was beaming.  On my other side a red-faced, potbellied man swayed unsteadily back and forth jamming to the music alongside his wife in her cowboy boots and daisy dukes.  This is the magic of Lady Antebellum I decided.  As a band, they appeal to many different types of people. Their songs tell stories and share struggles that we have all heard of, or lived, or overcome.  Their twang and country charm only increases their appeal.  Lady A is a band that is relatable and they proved this as they sauntered (well Charles ran… and skipped a bit) out onto a stage in the middle of everyone and sang a few of their more ballad-y songs. 

By this point it was dark and the stage lights were like stars, sparkling and twinkling along with the music.  After a set that included favorites like “Need You Now”, “Just A Kiss”, and “American Honey”, the band said, good night… only to bounce back on stage to thank their bandmates and to sing us one last song (Hillary and her husband flirted a bit and showed off their adorable new baby).  Photos of their life ran behind them as they sang us out into the night.  Driving home afterwards I realized I was so relaxed, and so content.  I looked at the stars and wished I could have Lady A sing to me sleep every night.  

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.