Stop Reading. Start Skimming.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Bright.  Informed.  Engaging. 

Three adjectives that would be perfect for the “describe yourself” section of your next internship application, if only you could back it up with conversation on current events.  But when you have a twenty-page research paper, a review, and five club meetings to tackle, reading up on breaking news isn’t a priority.  Still, you’re tired of staring blank-faced at people when they ask you what you think about the latest Congress/international/celebrity fiasco. 

So, how can a collegiette stay up to date on world news while upholding all of her other obligations? Simple – subscribe to theSkimm.

How it works:

TheSkimm is a newsletter delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.  In five minutes you’ll be clued-in to the most important news of the day.  Each newsletter features a “Quote of the Day” that highlights something emblematic, and often ridiculous, in world news.  Those previously cited include Obama, the Pope, and Karl Lagerfeld.  Below the quote are the main news stories, like the crisis in Crimea and the Malaysian plane disappearance.  TheSkimm breaks up each main story into sections that are less than five sentences long and include hyperlinks to articles from other news sites for anyone who wants to read more about the specific topic.  The final segment contains news blurbs that cover everything from politicians to business mergers to Real Housewives. 

A typical news story.

Why it’s awesome:

It’s short.  It’s sassy.  It’s the most conversational form of news you’ll ever read.  Also, it’s written by two entrepreneurial women in their twenties who formerly worked at NBC News. 

Who these incredible ladies are:

Danielle Weisberg and Carly Zakin are roommates who decided to make news available to their peers in an accessible, readable format.  Their sense of humor and cultural awareness come out in their newsletters (and their Instagram, Tumblr, and Pinterest accounts, which you should totally follow too).  Can’t get enough from the aforementioned platforms?  Check out their blog for entrepreneur lessons of the day, stories about their struggle to start a business, and tips on what to avoid in a job interview. 

How it’ll change your life:

Today says it’ll make you a better conversationalist.  A better conversationalist is a chicer, sharper, classier lady.  We all want to be busy career women someday, right?  So why not start now by reading what those busy career women are reading? 

Why it’s not just for women:

Yes, theSkimm logo is a (very stylish) lady with pearls and heels, but that doesn’t mean the content is exclusively feminine.  For example, recent daily newsletters have extensively covered the upsets and triumphs of March Madness.  As theSkimm points out, it’s “for the educated professional who knows enough to know she [or he] needs more.”  So don’t be fooled boys, this is for you too. 

“We read. You skimm.”  Sounds like a generous proposition.  So burst that Davidson bubble and join the legion of “skimm’rs” who are gracing interviews and awkward first dates with their intelligent conversation. 

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe