The Stages of Quintuple Overtime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

So you’re at the football game, and while you seriously love the guys on your team, your school does not have the best record recently with winning football games.  It’s a big game, against the team that ended up first last year, so y’know no pressure.  Both teams have been scoring, keeping you on your cheering toes for the entire game.  And then, suddenly, you look at the scoreboard.  And it’s tied.  And there are only a few seconds left in the 4th quarter.  It’s going into overtime.

Overtime 1: It’s chill. They have a chance to score, we have a chance to score. They do score, but it’s chill, because so do we. So. Still tied. We got this.

Overtime 2: Alright, fans be like

as they switch sides with the teams. It’s giving you whiplash trying to keep up.

Overtime 3: You don’t know how much your voice can handle. You don’t know how much your body can handle. You need water to soothe that raspy cheer. And maybe some to spit at the opposing team’s fans and they get a little too intense (jk jk you’re way too classy for that).

Overtime 4. We block them from scoring! There’s hope. We are then blocked from scoring. You feel as though your heart might burst with all of the emotion. And then you remember how the boys must be feeling. And then the feels get even stronger. And everyone around you doesn’t seem to realize the severity of this situation.  

If you could will anything into being, this would be it. Right now.  

Overtime 5: We are blocked from scoring again. It has gotten real. You watch the opposing team’s offense set up for their turn and you just want to walk out there and f*** them up (because you could totally do that to O Linemen). You just want to do something, anything. Dear God, it’s been ages.

We don’t block them. The game is over. You don’t know what to do with your face, what to do with your feels. And then you see football players crying, although they will later tell you it’s sweat. And then you really don’t know what do.  

But you know what’s going down that night as y’all dri…ahem… DANCE to forget.

Because you know the football guys are always winning at raging.

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.