Navigating the Job Search with an Anxiety Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Every morning when I wake up, I wash my face, brush my teeth, and take a Zoloft. Last spring after an overwhelming semester—both from outside sources (thanks, RLO) and internal affairs (thanks, identity crises)—I decided to try medication for my on-again, off-again relationship with depression and anxiety. Now, after a long summer of side effects, therapy sessions, and a few panic attacks, my neurotransmitters are relatively appeased.

SSRIs: They make you happy!

But I’m a senior. And aside from eating all the Rusk meals I can, soaking up bonding time with my friends, and dancing it out at my final court parties, senior year means jobs… which is terrifying. I know I’m not the only one on this campus who has issues with anxiety. I’m gonna be real: Davidson can be a toxic environment in terms of mental health.

Unfortunately, we do need to put some effort into the job search. Some people know what they wanna do—I’m looking at you, consulting friends—but for a lot of us, next year is a big question mark. (I recently declared a Gender & Sexuality Studies minor to add to my English major, because that’s gonna help me get employed.) Whether you’re diagnosed with a panic disorder, only beginning to navigate the perils of your mental health, or just vaguely nervous about the future’s unknown depths: here are five pieces of advice for navigating the job search with anxiety.

1. Don’t beat yourself up. Recently, an adult teased me for not having a picture on my LinkedIn, and I cried because I was so stressed. It’s funny now, but it really was devastating in the moment. There’s no need to feel dumb, worthless, or otherwise bad because you move at a different pace. You’ll get it done.

2. Set small goals. Today I’ll add my summer internship to my resume. Tomorrow I’ll apply for one job on Handshake. Next week I’ll go to a meeting at the Center for Career Development and then take the next few days off. We’re Davidson students; we’re busy as hell. Try not to procrastinate, but don’t expect to sit down at Summit and apply to eighteen jobs in one afternoon. It’s better to get a couple things off your plate than to start ten things and leave them all unfinished.

3. It’s okay to get rejected. Last semester I applied to at least ten summer internships before finally getting hired somewhere. Being rejected sucks, especially if your nice email is just ignored completely—no I’m not bitter okay—but it’s part of the learning process. Relatedly, I highly recommend making a Failure Resume. Remind yourself that rejection isn’t a setback; it’s just another step forward, albeit a more frustrating one.

4. Ask for help, and accept help when it’s offered. None of us can do this alone. Whether it’s Jamie Stamey making a phone call for you, your best friend running case interviews with you, or a stranger taking your LinkedIn picture—people are here, and they want you to succeed. Sometimes anxiety can make you feel like you’re trapped and drowning inside your own head, but if you raise a hand out of the churning waters, someone will come to pull you onto solid ground again. I swear.

Just like this.

5. Remember this. This is your mantra. You will get a job. You do not have to graduate with a job offer. You do not have to have your entire future planned out. You don’t even need to have the next six months planned out. You are smart, capable, competent, personable, and resourceful. You will get a job. This is not me being supportive or kind. This is a fact. You will get a job. You will get a job. Repeat it. Out loud. Again. I will get a job.

Good luck.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.