This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I have long dreamed of becoming a music blogger in hopes of sharing my own music tastes, my wealth of music knowledge, and some new undiscovered tracks with the Davidson community. Seeing as I am a musician myself, I constantly explore new artists, genres, tracks, and styles.  In this discovery process, I am pleased to share these finds with you. 

For my first playlist post, I hope to bring to you a new knowledge and sampling of mashups.  For those of you potentially living under a rock and therefore unfamiliar with the new musical genre known as “Mashup,” please  allow me to enlighten.  Songs in this genre are created by DJs and music lovers alike who pair beats and vocals from various songs (I’ve seen up to thirty songs in one) to produce one super track with familiar sounds and rich layers.  For many, it’s an eye-opening experience hearing your first great mashup, almost as if your ears themselves could scream ‘hallelujah’ – essentially, the experience yields an “ear-asm”.  You’ll find yourself singing along to songs you once hated like Carly Rae Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe,” simply because it has been reimagined entirely and given a new twist.  Here, I have compiled a playlist of fourteen of my all-time favorite mashups from my personal collection, compiled over the past few years from my favorite music blogs (Earmilk and College Cartel are two favorites).  Play these mashups when you’re studying, pre-gaming, procrastinating, showering, and most importantly when you’re driving – windows rolled down with your favorite new tracks blasting for the world to hear.  Enjoy…

Rude Boy- DJs from Mars

UB40’s beat from “Kingston Town” paired with a sped-up Rihanna “Rude Boy” vocal. A great summertime classic will have you longing for laid-back beachy times.

Bulls**t in the U.S.A. – Hathbanger

We all know Miley is going through some sort of “phase” now, but with this beautiful pairing of Biggie Smalls’ “Party and Bulls**t,” we can take a trip down memory lane with one of her early party anthems.

Mean Planes and Taylor Gangs – Brenton Duvall

One of Taylor Swift’s lofty dreams to live a thug lyfe is fulfilled with Brenton Duvall’s pairing of her “Mean” chorus with rhymes from the great Wiz.

Testify – Xaphoon Jones

This pairing of Radiohead and Kanye West is unlikely, but extremely satisfying.

We Are Your Friends (Justice vs. Ratatat) – Bearbot

Those of you more familiar with the electronica side of things will recognize these two tracks laid together to create a fun and slightly disorienting conglomeration of sounds. There’s a lot going on here, but fun to see what can happen with two great electronic tracks.

Midnight Scrubs (M83 x TLC) – lobsterdust

When my favorite 90s throwback is paired with the more recent M83 track, it is literally and metaphorically music to my ears.

Say Hello Vs. Because (Jay-Z x The Beatles) – The Melker Project (Scott Melker)

Probably the most experimental of this list is this track by combining two platinum artists, one old and one new.  Check out some other clever tracks by the talented Scott Melker and you won’t be disappointed.

Shake Out The Fire (Adele x Florence and the Machine) – DJ Scnoi

For you Adele fans, it will be fun for you to hear her amazing vocals paired with the equally great mix from Florence’s “Shake it Out.” It gives both songs a fun, new sound.

The Weekend (Martin Solveig x Icona Pop x Gary Go x Hook N Sling x NERVO) – DJ Topsider

Combining some of the best recent electronic vocal tracks is my personal favorite, DJ Topsider, probably the most legitimate of all of these mashup DJs.  Check out his SoundCloud for more: https://soundcloud.com/dj-topsider/sets/singles

Golden Ghostwriter (Jurassic 5 vs. RJD2) – Tone-E

On the calmer side, this track combines great rap, vocal, and beat to create a harmonious and cohesive flowing sound, complete with dynamics and a satisfying chorus featuring horns.

Juicy Dollars (Notorious B.I.G. vs. Aloe Blacc) – Dj Dizzy

This classic Aloe Blacc vocal seems to fit perfectly with Biggie’s rhymes.  Give it a listen and see what you think.

Dangerous (RHCP vs. Busta Rhymes) – DJ Stroke

By putting a rap track over the classic RHCP summer anthem, the track is entirely reimagined and given new meaning.

Get Funky (Daft Punk + 13 Artists Mashup) – Robin Skouteris

This chill track begins with the recent favorite Get Lucky, but out of nowhere, Robin Skouteris skillfully adds layers with different classic vocals and beats.  Listen for a nice surprise and a look back in time.

Call Me Mr. Burgundy – Czar Nicholas III

I’m sure you can recall pulling your hair out upon hearing Carly Rae Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe” for the millionth time, but when mashed with other great tracks, you may even find yourself singing along. Though most are throwbacks rather than recent hits, this ultimate mashup features some of the greatest top 100 hits of 2012 and 2013. There may even be some movie sound clips that will make you laugh.