#ModelStatus: An Interview with Model Wingshan Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I feel like it’s safe to say that many of us collegiettes have hashtagged #modelstatus on one or two Instagram pictures in our past, only when we looked particularly fierce, of course. But not many of us deserve the handle quite like Wingshan Smith, a London-based, Hong Kong native who has modeled for the likes of Hugo Boss. Wingshan has learned a lot about the industry since she signed with Leni’s Model Management back in her pre-teens. In this exclusive interview, I’ve got the scoop on the modeling world. By taking Wingshan’s advice, we can all get a little closer to that #modelstatus.

How did you get into modeling?  Were your friends and family surprised by your decision to get into the industry?

When I was 12, I signed up to model for my school’s charity fashion show simply because it sounded like a lot of fun as well as an awesome idea for raising money for UNICEF. From that I was scouted by an agency and I’ve been working in different parts of the world from then.

What has surprised you the most about the modeling industry?  What expectations did you have coming into it?

I was so young when I started that I’m really not sure what I expected. I would say that everyone realizes it’s definitely not as glamorous as you might expect.

When you tell people you’re a model, what’s the most common response?

I try not to tell people because I get quite shy about it all and feel like it’s actually a really small part of who I am. But I use Facebook as a tool for finding work and posting up modeling pictures and updates, which is where most people find out. The next day they’re like “wow, you’re a model!” and are all really nice and supportive, but it does change the way people look at me.

What’s the most common misperception about models?

That we’re snooty and dumb.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been in situations with other models who are really rude and snooty and it’s really made me upset, but you know it’s only because this job makes all of us insecure and it’s just their way of dealing with it—and even then it’s a minority. In most castings I go to, it’s a really great opportunity to catch up with other models, some you’ve worked with before and some you just see all the time and then you’ll just go for a coffee maybe. You can build up a really good girl gang support network.

With the dumb misperception, it makes no sense because most models start out at a young age, which means they’ve had to learn to grow up and work in a professional environment really quickly as well as learn to balance this with school and deal with new people/bosses every day. You can’t be dumb and handle that stuff. Most models I know are also using modeling to fund their degrees in areas from medicine to law; I’m in my second year of a degree in Art History.

What was your first modeling job?

It was hilarious! It was the cover for a Chinese food magazine and I had to pose like I was about to bite into a hamburger that I never got to eat (which broke my heart).

Do you prefer runways or photo shoots?

Photo shoots hands down. It’s where I can bring out my more creative side, but it’s also because I’m a super awkward walker! My boyfriend’s nickname for me is Bambi because I can barely walk elegantly in flats on the way to class!

What has been your favorite show to walk in?

Hugo Boss in Hong Kong 2008.

What thoughts go through your head as you’re walking down a catwalk? 

It completely depends on what I’m wearing. I used to love trying to take on a character to suit the outfit and show design. For example, in London Fashion Week I wore this badass black leather lingerie outfit influenced by the biker gang lifestyle, so I just basically channeled my inner Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

What do you do in preparation for a shoot?  For a runway show?

For a shoot, I like to look at the mood boards and get a feel for the creative direction, etc. For a show, repetitive walking practice.

What do you bring in your purse when going to a shoot/show?

A hairbrush, makeup wipes, nude underwear and my trusty black stilettos (just in case they don’t have my size).

What are your favorite beauty brands?

Body Shop, because it’s not overpriced and it’s vegetarian. However, if splashing out, MAC is the go-to brand. I would say about 80% of makeup at shoots/shows I’ve done were from MAC.

Any advice for a girl posing for a picture?

Make up a character and channel your inner ____.

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?  10 years?

My real passion is art history, but so often people feel intimidated by art. It is viewed as such an elitist subject, reserved only for the rich and talked about only by old white men in tweed. I’d love to make fresh and exciting art documentaries for the general public and get the next generation passionate about art.

Even when you don’t feel at your most glamorous, that doesn’t mean you can’t strut your stuff like a runway model. Winghan’s thoughtful advice has some truly inspirational messages for all of us collegiettes. We might not be walking London Fashion Week anytime soon, but we can still pursue our passions with the same enthusiasm she shows!

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe