HoDC: Humans of Davidson College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

HoDC: Humans of Davidson College is a series started by HerCampus Davidson to profile members of the community and to learn more about their stories. 

“I’ve recently started going to church, and I’m not sure how I feel about it.  I’m not new to religion, but I’ve never really explored or looked at it closely before. There are some good things about it, but there are also some things that I think could be changed.  There are a lot of valuable life lessons in it that I didn’t recognize before, and I think the sermons are really helpful and applicable to your life.  That is one thing I like about Protestant churches, they are actually relevant to your life.  It is so different from Catholicism. It just doesn’t feel as intimidating or as stressful.  I think I like that.”

“I think I miss my dogs the most.  That is what I miss the most when I think about home.  But I’ve started spending some Saturdays volunteering at PetCo- playing with the foster dogs there is really fun and it makes me miss home less.”

“My favorite thing about Davidson is the people.  There are so many good people here, and you can always count on them to be there when you need it.  I’ve got some great friends here who are always willing to be there for me- make me feel better, bring me chocolate, spend time with me…”

Andrew Peterson is a member of the Class of 2018 at Davidson College. He was born in Elkin, North Carolina and attended the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM).  After graduation, Andrew came to Davidson, where he is an English major and an Neuroscience minor on the pre-med track.   He began writing for HerCampus during his sophomore year, and most of his articles are human interst pieces highlighitng unique individuals at Davidson.  When he is not writing for HerCampus, Andrew serves as President of Timmy Global Health, a committee head for Dinner at Davidson, Programming and Publicity head of the Civic Engagement Council, a founder and organizer of TEDxDavidson, a University Innovation Fellow with Davidson I&E, and a regular volunteer at Ada Jenkins Free Clinic.  During his time at Davidson, Andrew has spent a summer studying British Literature at Cambridge University, lead two medical service tripes to Quito, Ecuador, went on his first mission to Nicaragua with the Chaplain's Office, and spent a summer conducing biomedial research at NYU Dental School. If you would like to learn more about Andrew, feel free to reach out to him at anpeterson@davidson.edu.