Every Girls’ Guide to Webtree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

A real tree…not to be confused with WebTree!

So Webtree is due on Friday, and if you aren’t freaking out, then you’re probably doing something wrong. But have no fear collegiettes, I’ve got you hooked up with all the tips and tricks to ensure you get your first choice classes, or at least classes that you want to be in. Here they are!

1. Stay calm. This is the most important part of the process. I’m listening to Taylor Swift (on YouTube, of course, after she tragically decided that she was above Spotify) and she’s going to help me through the Webtree process.

2. Decide your ideal schedule. This is definitely the second most important part of choosing classes, because you should know what you want. You should also know what you can and cannot take due to class times and other factors. Like, if you know that you would never wake up for that 8:15, maybe you shouldn’t take it. But conversely, if it’s a class that truly interests you, the class time should be a negligible factor.

3. Write down your top choices on note cards. Include the CRNs, meeting time, and professor. It’s also incredibly helpful to check out resources such as your peers and Rate My Professors to learn more about these classes. Additionally, you might want to write down any distribution or major requirements that every class fulfills. DegreeWorks, which you can access through BannerWeb, will tell you what you still need in order to graduate. This is especially important if you are a senior! We love you, but we want you to graduate in time!

4. For every first choice class, come up with a second choice class. I know its hard thinking about what will happen if you don’t get your ideal schedule, but you realistically won’t, so find some other interesting courses. If you’re anything like me, you will have trouble not finding a ton of courses you want to take! Like, Russian 101? Sign this girl up! 5. Write down your other choices on note cards too. This way, you can rearrange your schedule from tree to tree and get a really nice visual.

6. Remember to order your classes based on how competitive they will be to get into. Competitive class? First on your tree. You can also cheat the system a little bit and not put real second choices on your tree, but instead load it with competitive econ, biology, or phycology classes, to name a few, so that they will bump up the classes you do want. This is a bold move, so use caution, since you don’t want to get stuck taking Econometrics.

7. If your class has multiple sections, you should include those separately. For instance, ECO 105 A could start your first tree and ECO 105 B can start your second one. The more times you can manage to have a class appear on your Webtree, the more likely you will be to get it.

8. Got all that? Time to submit your Webtree! Or if Webtree is still clear as mud, be sure to check out the college’s informational video, or talk to your advisor, friends, or residential advisors, all of whom can be super helpful!

And if it makes you feel any better, there’s a sophomore boy who has never submitted a Webtree and gets all of his classes through add/drop. You are better at Webtree than he is, trust me!

Josephine is a senior English major from Massachusetts. She is the Marketing and Publicity Director for Her Campus at Davidson, a member of Connor House, and runs the Instagram account @cheeeesefries in her free time.