Every Girl’s Guide to Self Selection Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

As any member of one of Davidson’s four eating houses will tell you, the two or three weeks of self-selection contain some of the fondest memories from our first year here. After arriving back from break relaxed, well fed, and maybe even tan, second semester is full of possibility, with new classes, new and old friends, and Frolics coming sooner than you might think. And of course, there is self-selection. Whether you think you know exactly which house you want to be in or don’t even know what an eating house is (the two extremes of this process), here is everything you should know.

1. Eating houses cost money.

I start with this fact not to dissuade any potential members who may have their qualms about paying dues, but rather to get this reality of eating houses on the table, especially in light of the school’s changing meal plan policy. Having to pay dues to a house on top of your tuition and meal plan isn’t for everyone, but many houses offer scholarships or reduced dues. You should also consider what dues get you: ten meals a week as a sophomore, the ability to attend your particular house’s formal and other closed events such as sisterhoods and bristerhoods, leadership opportunities on both the executive and service boards of the house, and catcard access to your house…or should I say, unlimited leftovers at anytime of the day.

2. Keep an open mind.

This is the most important advice I can impart upon you during the self-selection process. Every house hosts two events, one on a weeknight and one on a Friday or Saturday night, with the latter generally taking on the form of a sisterhood, complete with a lot of dancing. This totals to eight events, which this year are held over the course of just three or so weeks. If it sounds chaotic, let me assure you that it is. With that being said, if you are even vaguely considering joining an eating house, I would recommend going to at least one event for every house, if not two, and go into every single event with the intention of meeting the house’s current members and truly discovering what it means to be an “insert-name-of-house-here girl.” Plus, chances are you will make a few new friends in the process.

3. Don’t stress about your cluster.

Clustering is such a unique part of Greek Life at Davidson, with each “cluster” guaranteed to be in the same house. However, your cluster doesn’t really matter in the long run, so if you chose to cluster, just cluster with friends who are interested in the same house as you. Particularly, the size of your cluster does not matter. I can’t stress that enough. Getting placed into your house is really, truly, and only done by a computer algorithm, and the computer doesn’t really care if your cluster is two, three, or four (however, if you do go solo your chances of getting your first choice are higher). As my big sister once tweeted, “Davidson by choice, Connor [or any other house] by a mathematical algorithm,” and that’s the truth.

4. Have fun.

You know when I said keeping an open mind was the most important advice self selection? Yeah, I lied. I can only hope the advice to have fun speaks for itself. I know I keep on saying this, but seriously, self-selection is one of the best parts of the first year, but only if you let it be. Cherish it.

Josephine is a senior English major from Massachusetts. She is the Marketing and Publicity Director for Her Campus at Davidson, a member of Connor House, and runs the Instagram account @cheeeesefries in her free time.