Campus Profile: Jane Campbell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

We all know that Davidson College admits and then releases exceptional people, but still, Jane Campbell manages to stand out among extraordinary Davidson alumni. Campbell is a Davidson graduate, class of 1987. This woman has a stacked resume and a long list of credentials and experiences that have shaped her into the admirable person she is.

Largely because she came from a military family, Campbell went to the Navy Aviation program after graduating from Davidson. She had a medical condition that prohibited her from flying, which crushed Campbell. She’d wanted to fly. 

“The news was devastating. I [had to] pick myself up, dust off, and realize that I had to come up with a new plan,” says Campbell. Her grit in hard moments like these Campbell largely credits to her time at Davidson. 

Campbell took her obstacles and turned them into blessings. Being told “you can’t” just made her dream bigger. Two years after walking away from the Navy, she returned. This time around things went differently for Campbell. 

Campbell became one of the first women assigned to a combat warship. She was there for the opening of Desert Storm, did a tour at Pearl Harbor, which is where she was stationed during 9/11, and did assignments at the Pentagon. “[While at the Pentagon] I was given the amazing opportunity to serve on the National Security Council Staff at the White House. As a Davidson political science major… it was an amazing opportunity,” says Campbell. 

She was later deployed to Afghanistan after completing combat training and being promoted to a captain position. In Afghanistan, she helped to establish a NATO command headquarters in Kabul, Afghanistan. Think that’s a lot? It is not even half of it. 

Outside of career accomplishments, Campbell came back to her 25th Davidson class reunion and took a personal leap. “I was smart enough to … ask out my classmate, Heather McKee, out on a date. She said ‘yes!’,” says Campbell.  

Then, in 2013, she became one of the first openly gay high-ranking military officers. Campbell and McKee went on to get married and now live in Davidson. 

But of course, all of this just is not enough for Campbell. Because this woman never gets tired, she is now running for North Carolina General Assembly.

Jane is running for the General House with concerns for North Carolina public education, infrastructure, and economy. She also has strong opinions on the gender and sexuality discrimination issues within the state. “Not that it was ever right, but I don’t believe we should be legislating discrimination in 2016. There are far more important things that should be legislative priority,” says Campbell. 

Jane’s campaign slogan, which her followers proudly boast on canny t-shirts, is “Run Jane Run.” This woman does not stop running; she is not even slowing down. 

“I am passionate about representing all the residents in this district–including the students, faculty, and staff of Davidson College,” says Campbell. 

Campbell admits that the campaign trail has not been easy, but meeting so many people definitely makes it worthwhile for her. 

Campbell wants to advise aspiring female leaders who graduate from Davidson to not only be themselves but embrace and love who they are. Being comfortable with yourself is just as important as knowing all the important characters of a good leader. 

“Go beyond ‘leadership by example.’ Lead how you want to be led. Inspire those around you,” says Campbell. 

Women not just in Davidson or North Carolina should look up to Campbell.  She is a role model that anyone off the street can aspire to be like. We could all use a little dose of Jane Campbell determination on a Monday morning.   

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

Davidson College Sophomore