Campus Cutie: Joey Howard ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Name: Joey Howard

Graduation Year: 2017

Age: 19

Hometown: Salisbury, NH

Major: Political Science

PCC Affiliation: Sigma Phi Epsilon

Activities: RA, works for ticket office, Intramural Basketball, Soccer, and Flag Football, Club Rugby and Soccer, and Sig-Ep Kitchen Manager

Joey walks up the stairs to his domain, 3rd South, in clothing that suggests he was coming from an athletic endeavor, to see me sitting in the lounge awaiting his arrival (he’s my RA). He pokes his head in. “Just give me a sec to change,” he grins. If you don’t know him, Joey is a lover of sports, and even won this year’s intramural flag football championship…and wore his victory shirt for the week after under all of his clothes. Kind, funny, and big-hearted, with a ‘broad shoulder to cry on,’ this cutie had one request for the interview: “make me look like a huge stud.” So collegiettes, how’s he looking?

Favorite part of Davidson: Dock ball at the lake, except now the dock is gone, so that’s a bummer.

Favorite place on campus: The Imac fields.

Three words his friends would use to describe him: Outgoing, confident, and silly.

Ideal Friday night: Going out to dinner with some friends, like Sabi or something like that, and then go dance for a while. Anywhere, doesn’t matter. And then be asleep by one o’clock in the morning. No matter what happens before, sleep is the crucial part.

If he was given a million dollars and couldn’t spend it on anything “practical” he would…buy a ton of scuba diving gear and scuba dive all over the world. I went to Hawaii to dive once and got to dive with some seals that just happened to be there and it was the coolest thing.

Favorite drink: Milk.

Favorite emoji: I use the dolphin emoji a lot when it’s not applicable. That’s my favorite one for sure, no question. 

Thoughts on the word “fratty”: I love it ironically.

Music preferences: I like all kinds of music, basically my criteria is based on what I can listen to in a certain state of emotion. I’m not like, “I only listen to rock” or “I only listen to country.” My highest played song is probably “All Right” by Darius Rucker.

Neckties or bowties: Neckties.

Funny nicknames: My Spanish teacher in high school called me Chewy Chewy because I had curly hair and my name is Joey, which kind of sounds like Chewy like Chewbacca, which is where the curly hair comes in. Once my friends heard him call me that was it. I was Chewy.

You may not know: I did ballet in high school.

Thoughts on Yik Yak: I’m not on Yik Yak. I’m a firm believer that Yik Yak is a terrible thing. It is pretty funny sometimes, but I’m generally not a fan. I like not having Yik Yak because is something’s funny enough that it’s important to know, then someone is going to show it to me.

Favorite phone app: The only one I really use is Facebook. I know the guy who started Wigo because he went to St. Paul’s. He was in my dorm actually. But the Gameboy Advance app is my favorite. I had to cut myself off for a while.

Thoughts on pickup lines: I wish that I was comfortable using a pickup line, but there is no way. I would just stumble over my words and it wouldn’t make sense. I would go with Brick from Anchorman though and ask her if she would go to a pants party.

What he looks for in a girl: Confidence is really important. But also not so set in her ways that she isn’t flexible. Spontaneous isn’t the right word because I don’t want someone who is just like, super spontaneous. I guess be accommodating.

Go-to first date: Probably ice cream.

Strangest place he’s kissed someone at Davidson: See the problem with this is that I haven’t really kissed a lot of people at Davidson…Yeah I don’t have a good answer for this. I’m so disappointed in myself!

Josephine is a senior English major from Massachusetts. She is the Marketing and Publicity Director for Her Campus at Davidson, a member of Connor House, and runs the Instagram account @cheeeesefries in her free time.