The Big One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

An interesting set of circumstances led me to lead the Fly Fishing trip two weekends ago. Either graciously or foolishly, Ed Daugherty asked if it was possible that I guide a fly fishing trip. Both graciously but enthusiastically, I agreed. I had been fly fishing for years, and this was the first opportunity to teach something I was truly passionate about. The only minor setback, was I had never led a trip, and I had never guided before in my life. College always seemed like a frontier, foraging-new-pathways type experience, so I was excited to check this off of my list.

Part of what makes fishing a hobby to some and an unhealthy obsession to others is what you make of it. On the surface, the concept of throwing a fake fish into water to catch a real fish, only to put the real fish back, can be confusing. It certainly confused a few participants at first. Not to mention trudging into the frigid river on a November morning, wearing slightly patchy waders to keep the water from freezing your toes. This was not advertised in the DO pamphlet. Some people see fishing through this lens, and that is fine. We are all college students, we are entitled to our own opinions, and we are proud of them. The most amazing moment for me leading this trip however, was watching a group of previously unenlightened non-anglers experience the best part of fishing. They all realized in their own way that catching the fish was the least important part. Two participants took a nap on the river rocks after landing a few fish. One participant watched the river happily until it was time to leave. One participant practiced his cast until it was so dark I couldn’t tell if he was moving his arms or not. The experience of fishing cannot be based on the number of fish caught. That would be like hiking only to get to the end of the hike. The part in between matters most. Fishing is a humbling experience that leaves you empty-handed often, but if you can learn to love all the moments, the Fish-Gods may throw you a bone and you might just catch the big one.