The Belchers Bust Stupid Thanksgiving Myths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

1. You won’t gain visible weight from one meal.

2. You won’t lose noticeable muscle mass or strength from taking a weekend off (and if you do because you’re THAT gym rat, THAT’S OKAY).

3. Sitting around relaxing with family/Netflix/pets/friends/books is a necessary thing for everyone.  It doesn’t mean you are lacking or slacking. 

4. Sleep is important.  Napping and sleeping a full 8-10 hours can help you catch up on your (I guarantee you have one) sleep deficit.

5. Nothing is permanent; habits don’t form in a weekend.  Holidays are about more than deprivation or gluttony and if people’s incessant comments about serving size, waist size, or exercise are driving you up a wall TAKE A BREAK.  Go listen to some music in your room, play with the little kids, take your dog outside and throw a tennis ball, skype your SO… you don’t need others’ toxic comments affecting your peaceful vacation.  

6. Food isn’t scary.  It’s amazing.  No matter how your family/friends talk about it before/during/after the meal.

7. No food is bad food (becuase food doesn’t have morals) and “too much” is an entirely subjective measurement that no one else but you can make (so is “too little”). 

8. Eating disorder jokes are not funny.  Smack anyone who makes an eating disorder joke upside the head and/or talk them into remorseful silence with all of your empathy and facts.

9. Families can suck, people can suck, TAKE A BREAK, it doesn’t mean you’re a terrible child/friend/SO/person, it means you’re a human being who just needs to be for a second. 

10.  Sleep. Sleep some more. Sleep more.  This doesn’t make you anything but smart and also super cozy.  

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.