Being Sick at Davidson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

If there’s one thing Davidson students understand more than the Honor Code and the real meaning of the word “review,” it’s the spread of illness. “Domino effect” is the popular euphemism, but “tidal wave effect” more accurately captures the barrage of runny noses and coughs that come down on the student body every couple of months.

It always starts the same way. You’ll be going about your daily life, walking to either food, or class, or a nap, when you feel the tickle. It’s the faintest tickle; you can barely feel it in the back of your throat. But nevertheless, you know what it’s forewarning.

Wanting to get ahead of it, you pick yourself up a Nantucket Nectar at Union to stock up on Vitamin C. You think to yourself, “I am so smart and I’m being so proactive. My body’s a temple so I must treat it with the best. My mom would be so proud. I can’t wait to feel better so I can get turnt this weekend.”

You go to bed at a reasonable hour, waiting to feel like your healthy self in the morning. Instead, waking up the next day goes something like this:

After a quick assessment of your symptoms and a perusal of WebMD, you conclude that this is the end. You get dressed in whatever clothes you wish to be buried in. You say your goodbyes to your loved ones. There is no way a runny nose, headache, sore throat, and fever could result in anything other than death.

As your last saving grace, the health center has an open appointment. “Maybe the cure is near. Maybe I’ll live to see tomorrow, after all.”

However, the visit doesn’t go as planned. What you expected was a life-saving miracle drug that would get rid of your symptoms immediately (read: antibiotics). What you get is…wait for it…wait for it…Tylenol. And salt packets.

At this point, you may take matters into your own hands and begin self-medicating. On the brink of death, you make your friends go to CVS and stock up on all the goods (drugs, soup, tissues), and in return Venmo them with memos like, “Thanks for buying me a couple more precious moments of life.”

Note: During my last bout of sickness, I purchased a Netti Pot, which I now fully believe is the cure to the common cold. 10/10 would recommend.

Eventually though, every good pity party must come to an end. Overnight, your body seems to cure itself, and each morning you can breathe a little better. You also resent the health center a little less for not giving you antibiotics.

So remember to use the hand sanitizer on the front desk at Commons, get plenty of sleep, and the next time you see someone blow her nose in class, go into hiding.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.