9 Reasons to Read Roxane Gay’s “Bad Feminist”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Before Roxane Gay’s new book of short stories, Difficult Women, comes out in January, you should read her 2014 essay collection, Bad Feminist. If you need convincing, here are some quotes from her essays to get you in a feminist mood.

1. “I embrace the label of bad feminist because I am human. I am messy. I’m not trying to be an example. I am not trying to be perfect. I am not trying to say I have all the answers. I am not trying to say I’m right. I am just trying–trying to support what I believe in, trying to do some good in this world, trying to make some noise with my writing while also being myself.”

2. “I believe women not just in the United States but throughout the world deserve equality and freedom but know I am in no position to tell women of other cultures what that equality and freedom should look like.”

3. “No matter what issues I have with feminism, I am a feminist. I cannot and will not deny the importance and absolute necessity of feminism. Like most people, I am full of contradictions, but I also don’t want to be treated like shit for being a woman. I am a bad feminist. I would rather be a bad feminist than no feminist at all.”

4. “Somewhere along the line we started misinterpreting the First Amendment and this idea of the freedom of speech the amendment grants us. We are free to speak as we choose without fear of prosecution or persecution, but we are not free to speak as we choose without consequence.”

5. “Abandon the cultural myth that all female friendships must be bitchy, toxic, or competitive. This myth is like heels and purses–pretty but designed to SLOW women down.”

6. “You don’t necessarily have to do anything once you acknowledge your privilege. You don’t have to apologize for it. You need to understand the extent of your privilege, the consequences of your privilege, and remain aware that people who are different from you move through and experience the world in ways you might never know anything about. They might endure situations you can never know anything about.”

7. “It’s hard to be told to lighten up because if you lighten up any more, you’re going to float the fuck away.”

8. “When feminism falls short of our expectations, we decide the problem is with feminism rather than with the flawed people who act in the name of the movement.”

9. “We don’t all have to believe in the same feminism. Feminism can be pluralistic so long as we respect the different feminisms we carry with us, so long as we give enough of a damn to try to minimize the fractures among us.”

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe