7 Ways to Make Your Own Tacky Christmas Sweater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Every collegiette has experienced the panic. It’s 4 p.m., and your wing woman is picking you up for the tacky Christmas sweater party at 6. You don’t have a tacky sweater. Maybe you didn’t have time to hit up Goodwill. Maybe someone had cleared out Goodwill’s stock by the time you got there. Maybe you just didn’t want to spend money on a sweater you’ll wear once.

You don’t ever have to feel that panic again. Here’s an early Christmas present: your guide to shopping for a tacky Christmas sweater in your own closet (or investing in a sweater that’s wearability extends past December 25.

1. Recycle your New Year’s Eve top.

(Wait ’til You Sequin This Sweater, Modcloth)

Sequins are already festive, so all you’ll need to complete this ensemble is tinsel, small ornaments, or bells. With these items on your sweater, you’ll really sparkle. 

2. Give your animal sweater a makeover.

(If I Could, I Woodland Sweater, Modcloth)

Sweaters with animals are cute. To make your animal sweater cute and tacky, accessorize. Add Christmas earrings or bells to a fox’s ears. Put red and green glasses on an owl. Tie a bow on a dog’s collar. It’s time for your little creature to shine.

3. A Fair Isle sweater is always fair game.

(BDG Cozy Fair Isle Sweater, Urban Outfitters)

Even though this sweater isn’t tacky, you could still wear it to a tacky sweater party without feeling like the loser who didn’t dress for the theme. If you want to take it up a notch, you pair it with red and green jewelry, scarves, and Christmas-y bottoms.

4. Any winter-themed sweater is appropriate.

(Only Snowflake Print Sweater, Asos)

This sweater is totally worth buying, because you can wear it all winter. Alternatively, any bejeweled sweater that looks similar to these snowflakes could be an option. Or, add snowflakes to any colored sweater you already own.

5. Find a sweater you’ll want to wear every day of December.

(Up to Scratch Sweater, Modcloth)

If you’re going to spend money on a sweater, find one that you’ll wear for a solid week before Christmas. After all, who said tacky couldn’t also be adorable?

6. Find everything that’s red, green, or white.

(One, Two-Tone, Three! Sweater, Modcloth)

Embrace the color combination that you can wear only one time of year. Pile on all of the red, green, white, gold (even blue and purple) accessories you have in your closet. Same goes for pants and shoes.

7. Texture is tacky.

(Shaggy Round Neck Sweater, Forever 21)

This shaggy sweater looks super comfy. It also has the potential to be super tacky. Stick ten of your grandma’s Christmas pins all over your sweater to reach a new level of tackiness. This idea could work for any plain sweater, but you should definitely treat yourself to a new top and buy this one.

Whether you want to save a few bucks this season or use a tacky sweater party as an excuse to buy a new sweater, you can’t go wrong with these ideas. Here’s to hoping you win the prize for tackiest sweater!

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe