7 Great Food Blogs to Follow NOW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

So there’s this thing that I love doing to make it feel like I’m being productive, and that is looking at food blogs. They are my gods and godesses of the interwebs.  I tell myself I’m preparing for my future, when I, y’know, have a kitchen and ingredients.  The pictures…. They’re just so pretty, and the food, it sounds so delicious!  For those times you need to satisfy your food porn cravings, I have a few suggestions.

1. Willow Bird Baking

Julie graduated from Davidson and is a teacher and hilarious, spunky, and gorgeous—so I might be a little biased in including this one because I basically want to be her. 

She’s got a lot of cake and bars, which my Midwestern roots love, but they have a fun twist on them—like a Biscoff cookie spread skillet cake.  She also includes a lot of snacks and savory recipes and is great at giving you ideas for specific events, like Super Bowl snacks. 

2. How Sweet Eats

Ok, so I know it says “sweet eats” in the URL, but I promise there’s some really good savory dinner ideas in there as well.  Jessica also does this thing ever Friday called “Currently Crushing On” where she links to her online crushes…and let me tell you, I agree with ALL of her online crushes.

3. Smitten Kitchen

This is the place you go when you want classic ideas that have a little twist that can impress your parents when they come over to dinner.  It’s a good mix of breakfast and dinner and lunch and, well, obviously dessert.

4. Lady and Pups

This is the website that offers accessible, authentic, delicious ethnic-inspired food… specifically Asian.  Again, there’s a good mix of savory and sweet, but they’re like nothing you’ve ever seen if you grew up in an Irish-American family like myself.  I love potatoes, but let’s be honest, a girl needs a lot more than that for her tastebuds!

5. Top With Cinnamon

Beautiful, gorgeous photos.  I mean, the recipes are great too, again, a little more involved than your average college-kitchen-capacity, but if you’re reading this article, then I’m assuming you’re dedicated to recipes and not boxed in by small kitchens and nosy roommates. Think of yourself as a bougie restaurant chef… this is where you’d go.

6. Minimlaist Baker

If you are someone who has any sort of food allergy or intolerance, this is the website to go to when you need good, real food.  They have candy bar recipes, great vegetable based meal recipes, and ice cream…ICE CREAM.  What I especially love is that they’re not trying to make anything “healthier,” they’re just trying to offer homemade options with simple ingredients.

7. The Sugar Hit

I just want to best friends with Sarah, we have similar thoughts about sugar… in that we’re addicted (and let me just say, I mean that in the way that when I post pictures of delicious dessert, you can bet I ate all of it…and finished my boyfriend’s… and my mom’s).  So anyway!  The desserts range from classic to crazy to perfect and she includes a lot of other meal-type foods that please everyone from friends to classmates to professors to parents—all in one recipe, not just all on one site.

All of these blogs reintroduce the joy of food (making, sharing, EATING) to a group of people who desperately need it: young women.  Food is good, great, delicious, and you, too, can make it!

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.