5 Sweet Treats for Your Sweetheart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Did you gag at that title?  Yeah, me too… but in keeping with the sappiest day of the year, I figured I’d give cutesy a shot. Valentine’s Day is second only to New Year’s in “most likely never to live up to your high expectations that you don’t even care about but think that you should” category. After spending this past New Year’s in sweatpants, on the couch, with my boyfriend, a bottle of sparkling grape juice* and Netflix, I’m kind of down to keep Valentine’s Day equally low-key. But, in order to properly celebrate ANY holiday, and in order to properly enjoy ANY binge-watching session, one (or two) does need delicious sustenance. Those fifteen seconds between shows are really draining, okay?  

1. Red wine chocolate cake

From one of my favorite sites for nicer food comes this classy cake. Red wine is THE Valentine’s Day drink anyway, and because there’s no frosting, the cake even looks fancy. It is also rich, dense, and delicious.

2. Strawberry Beet Cupcakes

Bonus points for these guys because they have vegetables AND fruits in them. They are also pink. And smaller, so you can easily transport them to the various places you might be going–parties or dates or from kitchen to your snuggly bed.

3. Red Velvet and Chocolate Kisses

Yes. Homemade GIANT kisses. These take a little more time and effort, but if you’re dedicated to a great Valentine’s Day surprise, these are for you. They’re also a little bit rich but so delicious and creamy and chocolatey and CAKE-Y (it’s a word, I swear).

4.  Icelandic Happy Marriage Cake

Okay, I’m not saying that you need to get married or anything, nor do you need to mention the name of this dessert to your loved one.  It’s just a different take on a cake–much more pie-like, but without the hassle!  And, hey, if you do want to drop a hint, this could be a great way to do it.

5. Red Velvet Thumbprints with Marshmallow Frosting

If it has red in it, I say it fits with the Valentine’s Day theme. For those who are more chocolate-averse, the marshmallow fluffiness is a nice balance. These are also much more shareable! And MARSHMALLOW FROSTING. That is literally all I need to say. 

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.