4 Cute Ways to Dress for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

With a blizzard hitting the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, these next few weeks are going to be really cold. Hiking up the hill to class, heading to Main Street for supplies, even walking to Union feels like a battle with frostbite.

How do you keep blood circulating to all of your appendages without regressing into a marshmallow blob hobbling around campus?

Here’s your cool kid guide to kicking the cold.

1. Knit hats.

So, according to some prestigious looking .edu medical website, the idea that your head loses a lot of heat is just a myth. You lose heat from every area of your body in contact with the cold. BUT if you wear a hat, that’s still one less area in cold contact. Plus, you’ve got to protect your ears. Cute hats with pompoms keep ears warm (yes, the pompoms are necessary, for the cute factor, at least).

ASOS.com, $21.

If you’re rocking the ponytail or topknot on a freezing day, go for a headband.

Urban Outfitters, $20.

Twice the pompoms, twice the warmth? If it works for Queen B…

2. Collared shirt + sweater.

One creative way to layer that can go all-out prep (white button-down, argyle sweater) or funky and creative (patterned button-down, graphic sweater) is the collared shirt + sweater combo. The look can take on so many different personalities; it depends on the sweater’s neckline, how many buttons you leave open, whether you cuff the sleeves over your sweater. The endless mix and match variations should make this your staple winter outfit.

Warmest pairing: (flannel + wool)

J.Crew, $89.50.

+

J.Crew, $85.

You can also use your summer button-downs, like gingham and pinstripe.

3. Turtlenecks.

An alternative to scarves for keeping your neck toasty is the turtleneck. Bonus: the high neck is the perfect canvas to spotlight your long statement necklaces.

H&M, $17.99.

Turtleneck + Leather Jacket = the hot kind of cool.

4. Cute socks.

That sliver of skin between your jeans and your shoes can really get a beating from the cold. Now’s the chance to wear (or buy!) the patterned socks from your Christmas stocking.

Modcloth, $9.99.

Anthropologie, $15.

Wear socks over tights for an extra layer of warmth.

With these cold weather tips, you can be your own ice princess—the cold never bothered you anyway

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe