10 Ways to Relax during Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

1. Do some mindful breathing

My favorite version of this technique is the square breathing method. Breathe in for 4 counts, hold your breath for 4 counts, breathe out for 8 counts.  Repeat this until you’re feeling a little calmer.

2. Do some yoga

Sometimes you need to get your body in a different position than hunched over your computer or textbooks… take a few minutes in your room or the corner of Club Libz to stretch out your shoulders, neck, core (tummy and lower back), and hips as these tend to be the places we hold our tension.  

3. Drink some tea

No caffeine allowed if you’re trying to decompress.  Chammomile, or really anything herbal works best.  I tend to stick my face in the steam and let the warmth remind me of summer.

4. Love yourself

Seriously, there’s really good evidence that engaging in any sort of sexual activity (solo or not) helps release *loads* of tension.  

5. Love yourself

This is the more emotional one…. when you feel yourself setting standards that are just too much for any human to meet, just remember that it WILL get done and taking five minutes to do something kind for yourself won’t matter in the long run (in fact, it’ll probably help!)

6. Write it out

We all have so. much. to. do. and sometimes keeping track of all of that becomes another stressor, so just get everything down and start crossing it off.  

7. Listen to music

Spotify has some great de-stress playlists that range from *gentle acoustic* to *headbanging rock.*  Whatever suits your mood-boosting need, you can find online and even just a few songs can leavae you feeling renewed.

8. Make time for a meal 

Make sure you’re eating.  Your brain loses its ability to focus when you don’t eat because your limbic system doesn’t have the nutrients it needs to help keep itself focused.  And guess what: every food will do the job.  

9. Make that meal with friends

It’s so easy to get cloistered away in our study spots but taking a break, or even studying, with friends can bring you just enough outside of yourself that you’re able to forget about your cares for even just a little bit.

10. SLEEP

Take a nap.  Get your (minimum) 5-6 hours per night.  You’ll focus better, you’ll retain more, and you won’t be mean. #winning

With these tips hopefully you will be more relaxed for your finals! 

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.