This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Spring is finally here and we all know what that means.  The flowers will soon be in bloom and our favorite little wormies will be hanging from the oaks and jumping into our hair.  There are campus-wide conservation competitions happening this week and in the near future – but if these week-long activities seem daunting, we have created a list of easy every-day solutions for going green this spring!

1. Lake Showering

Instead of shortening your normal shower to conserve water, why not lengthen your shower with a nice dip in Lake Norman?  Everybody loves group showering anyway!

2. Study Outside

Tis the season for lake campus! Why not enjoy studying outside rather than studying inside with your lights on. Help conserve while working on your tan!

3. Outdoor Activities

When was the last time you rode a bike? Went Rollerblading? Walked somewhere for fun?  Try to limit your time in the car by using one of these summery modes of transportation.

4. Unplug

Leaving your toaster or computer charger or lamp plugged into the wall means it continues to use energy from the outlet.  Unplug to conserve.

5. Green Laundry

Wash your clothes in cold rather than warm water to cut back on the energy it takes to heat the cycle.  Consider hanging your laundry outside to dry. How beautifully quaint would it be to have lines of laundry strung between apartments to create our own little Italy?

6. Buy in Bulk, Eat en Masse

Individual packaging creates more waste, so buy your snacks in the family size bag as much as possible.  And instead of cooking just for yourself, you might consider making a bigger meal and inviting your friends over to cut down on food waste.

7. Save at Summit

You can cut back on waste and save 10¢ per Summit drink if you cozy up to do your homework there and use a ceramic mug. Or better yet, bring your own cup! For those of us who are Summit junkies, this is a really good way to reduce paper waste and save money! 

8. Everyday Afternoon Club

Partying in the daytime is more socially acceptable in the spring. Start your drinking earlier and you’ll have less need for turning on your lights later.

9. Don’t Let it Run

Turn off the water while you’re shaving or brushing your teeth.  It’s easy just to let the water run, but you’ll be amazed with how much water you can save by this small, easy act.

10. Recycle!

Although it seems like the most basic, it really is the most important.  There are appropriate bins located in just about every building on campus, so there is no excuse not to use them.  Recycle your plastic, paper, and aluminum (the most profitable for recycling companies), rather than chucking everything into the garbage.

*HC Davidson abides by college policy and does not support underage alcoholic consumption.