alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

During my adolescent years, I was very active. As a student athlete, not only did I crave my daily work out, the time I had during the day to be active didn’t seem like a chore

Like many of you understand, my college career and job are becoming the most prominent things in my life. Finding the time to work out or relieve stress is challenging. So, I found myself looking for a healthy change, and adding an intermural sport wasn’t an option at the time. So, with a little research and the willingness to do something new. I took up yoga.  

The best thing about yoga is that anyone can do it. I instantly fell in love, according to my teacher who has been practicing over 15 years… There is no right and wrong way of yoga. It is designed to help achieve a more positive outlook on life and to a help find permanent serenity and peace. When practicing poses you do what you physically can, any variation strengthens your mind and body.

Yoga can help you with:

• Reducing your risk of injury
  • Reducing stress/ increasing concentration
  • Gaining strength and stamina
  • Understanding the mind and body
  • Improving balance, stability, and posture
  • Developing body awareness

If you think yoga might not be for you I urge you to reconsider.  EVERYBODY HAS A YOGA BODY. As you begin to realize with each session, there is no competition in class. Each is there for their own benefit… you are walking into a no judgement zone.

Personally my favorite part of the experience is meditation. In the beginning it was hard for me to clear my thoughts, and some days are easier than others. Everyone will experience this at some point.  Don’t be discouraged by this. As my teacher says during meditation “It’s Important to be willing, to be willing is accept improvement.”

I understand being on the college budget… and starting up a membership somewhere without knowing if you’ll even like it is a LEGIDAMENT CONCERN. Considering this, I decided to take a 2 day a week class and can’t get enough of it. I hope many of you will take advantage of trying a yoga class though your college. It’s a great way to bring some exercise and personal satisfaction into your life.

If you’re living in Ellensburg like myself, here are the links to two studios in town. Stop on in and look.

A student ready to share.