Ways to Combat Anxiety and Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

It comes to no surprise that all of us college students are stressed. Finals are nearly upon us and we just can’t read another chapter of our most boring textbooks. One thing that we all fear, is when that stressful feeling turns into a full-blown anxiety attack. I’m sure most of us have had our fair share of these panic-mode stress sessions, but hopefully we can put an end to them once and for all. Here are some tips I have learned from a psychologist that helped me out when I suffered from anxiety. Use them at the first sign of panic.

Take a step into a different atmosphere

One thing my old psychologist told me that would help to stop anxiety before it begins, is to leave the place you are in and switch it up. Those panicked, uncomfortable and angry feelings can only grow stronger if you stay in the same area. For instance, if you are in your dorm room when those emotions start coming on strong, take a step outside and breathe some new, fresh air. If you are in a stuffy office space with horrible fluorescent lighting, come to your own home and embrace those things that make you calm.

Put down the coffee cup

I know, it’s hard, but caffeine only progresses your stress by making your heart beat faster. Caffeine is a trigger for anxiety, and can prevent you from calming yourself down once those stresses begin. Try instead a decaf latte, or a decaf tea. Or even better, just stick with water! 

Try aromatherapy

Certain scents can actually help to calm your senses and relieve stressors. You can try essential oils, little sachets full of flower petals, or anything else that speaks to you. I personally found my relief in carrying a sachet full of lavender. It was the perfect thing to pull out of my bag discretely and hold to my nose for a quick second or two. The aroma made me feel alive, and helped me forget about things that I couldn’t control.

Have a cup of tea

Chamomile tea has been proven to contain multiple relaxing chemicals for your body. If you don’t like the taste of tea, try taking a chamomile supplement instead. Regular consumption of chamomile has shown to reduce anxiety symptoms significantly.

Soak your stress away

Taking a hot bath is super calming, especially with Epsom salt soaks or essential oils. Lavender or vanilla scents can reduce those anxious feelings, try adding a few drops into the water. Epsom salts can lower blood pressure, which can be a trigger for anxiousness. Who wouldn’t want a nice hot bath after a long day of studying?

You may not always be able to stop anxiety when it’s coming on full-force, but with these tricks you can give it your best shot. Using these tactics I was able to cure my anxiety within about a year. Not everyone is so lucky to be rid of their anxiety for good, but you can definitely help yourself by paying attention to your triggers and learning how to calm yourself down best. Good luck with finals girls! 

Senior at Central Washington University in the heart of Washington State! I'm a business major studying leadership and management.