An Open Letter: To The Girl Who Let Her Guard Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

No matter what stage you are in life dating is never easy but it’s inevitable. We seem to kiss every frog until we find what appears to be your prince but for a lot of us just ends up being another frog in a better outfit. Regardless of whether that analogy resonates with you or not, the fact of the matter is dating is hard and it never really seems to get easier.  

Every relationship seems to start the same way no matter who or how you met your new prospective bae. Whether you’ve been burned before or not, nothing beats the feeling of thinking you finally found someone that’s going to make you not feel guilty staying in on a Friday not and not have to wrap up the other half of that pizza. Once you get passed the point of knowing that whatever is going on is less like a hook up and more like a relationship the guard slowly drops and you’re ready to see where things go, which can only be described by sitting at the top of a roller coaster; you could not be more excited but you’re also scared shitless holding on to your best friends hand for dear life.  

Finding someone that remembers that your favorite color is yellow and that you prefer rain to sunny days is about as good as it gets. But what I wish I would have told myself was that a red flag is a red flag, no matter how perfect the person waving it in front of you is. Sometimes, time just isn’t on your side and what seems to be the perfect fit turns out to be a size too small. Regardless of if the universe is working against you, you have to let its do it things no matter how wrong it feels.  

You let your guard down and not only do you have to build it back up but you have to cement that shit, because the next person isn’t going to get the same advantage as the previous. If you’re keeping your guard up you know it isn’t on purpose and it doesn’t mean you’re blowing off a good person just because the one before hurt your feelings. The new wall comes in the form of assumptions and conclusions that destroy the entire relationship before it even happens. Will they like me? Will my friends like them? What happens when we graduate in two years? What if we don’t like the same kind of pizza? I’m here to tell you that you can’t know and you won’t know until you see for yourself! Relationships are like people and none of them are perfect.

Remember to learn from your mistakes and if  you’re going to take from the bad learn from the good too. Proceed with caution but don’t ruin a good thing with someone because the last one didn’t work out. The universe is mysterious and it knows what it’s doing, it put you in front of your new person for a reason, so trust it! 

President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!