My Experience with Planned Parenthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I can remember high school like it was yesterday, and I’m sure most of you can too. Awkwardly walking through the halls on your first day, trying not to irritate ANY upperclassmen while getting to the lunchroom and the endless teenage relationship drama. I had little experience having an actual boyfriend and I barely even knew how sex worked, but I did know that I could be having sex in my high school.

My best friend was going to get birth control for the first time and I decided to come with her to try and learn more about it myself. Without Planned Parenthood there is a very good chance that I would have needed an abortion before I was  20 years old, or I would have been at higher risk of teen pregnancy. Planned Parenthood was more than just a place to get abortions, I wanted to share my experience and hopefully change a few opinions.   

Walking into Planned Parenthood at the age of 16 was a terrifying, but eye opening experience. There was a HUGE selection of informational brochures that explained different types of birth control, sexual orientations and other important topics that all teens should be introduced to, regardless their gender. 

The staff was extremely helpful, kind and comforting. They knew that we were nervous and helped us feel right at home. My friend went back into her consultation and came out about 45 minutes later with 3 months of birth control in hand. I made an appointment for the following week.

I went back the next week and I’m so glad I did. The first thing I asked my doctor was if I even needed to be on the pill, or if I should stick to other methods of birth control since I was barely sexually active. My doctor explained that birth control is beneficial for more than just not getting pregnant. We discussed how “The Pill” has health benefits and can reduce or prevent things like: acne, cysts in the breasts and ovaries, endometrial and ovarian cancers, serious infections in the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus, iron deficiency (anemia) and PMS (premenstrual syndrome) which are health concerns that most women encounter in their life.

My doctor and I went through many different birth control options, including the pill, the IUD or a vaginal ring. I made my choice, took it home and went on with my life more educated and safe!

I went in every couple of months to pick up my prescription, and would sporadically have a conversation with my doctor to make sure everything was working properly, as well as a conversation about my mental health.

By reaching out and making an appointment, I took control of my own sexual health, which I know was best for me. It made me feel powerful and in charge of my own future. I have been using birth control consistently for 6 years and I have never needed an abortion. My experience with Planned Parenthood as a teenager greatly influenced how comfortable I am taking charge of my reproductive rights as an adult.  

Thank you Planned Parenthood, I stand by you.

HCXO

To any women out there who want more information on Planned Parenthood, birth control or the other benefits that come from Planned Parenthood, check out their website at: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/