This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Between the beautiful Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea you’ll experience one of the most biodiverse places in the world.   With rainforests, volcanoes, rivers, lakes and mountains to explore my trip was nothing short of an adventure. I had the privilege of staying along the Pacific Coast while vacationing in Costa Rica. In a small town called Brasilito (smaller of the tourist spots) 3 hours from the airport. The highways are paved, but since CR is a developing 3rd world country most of the roads traveled are dirt and very bumpy. Warning to those that can’t handle a change in culture… The sewage systems and cleanliness might gross you out. But it is something to prepare for when traveling.

Background: The official language is Spanish, but english is widely spoken. Mainly in tourist towns, airports and hotels. To travel there you need a valid passport up to six months after the date of your vacation. And a ticket for relaxation and adventure.

I knew I was traveling to some place beautiful, but I wasn’t expecting to be knocked off my feet by pure wonder.

Planning for a trip like this was Fairley easy like I said before all you need is a valid passport and a willingness for adventure. The dry season considered summer by Costa Ricans is from mind November to April, and the “green season” (rainy season) is from mid-May to mid-November. Prepare for humidity no matter what time you go, and mosquitos the size of dimes… Eeek! The nice thing about traveling in the green season like I did was even though the forecast expected rain. Days started off sunny and eased off throughout the afternoon with some rain fall during the evening/night. There were a few times over my 2 weeks where the clouds rolled in for 30 minutes and SHOWERED the beach with no warning. But I will say there was something magical about being warm in the sand while the rain poured over me.

I stayed in a more rural part of Brasilito there were only 2 hotels within 10 miles of us. My family decided to rent a house in the jungle instead of going for the tourist vibe. I enjoyed the views and being submerged in forest around me. Every morning I heard birds and sometimes monkeys in the distance. Along the road leading down to the beach I  saw a few sloths in the same place so cute. Yes, the humidity there was unreal … leading to some pretty noisy nights. I spent most of my time on the pool deck wrapped in multiple blankets and bug spray to protect me at night. But nothing beat sitting out there watching the night sky light up all around me. I’ve never heard or seen something so powerful in my life..

During our 13 days there we traveled to other cities around the area. Normally taking at least 2 hours by car to get there traveling out was an all-day trip. One of the most popular places to visit is Tamarindo, this was one of my favorite places to visit. More of a tourist town there were beautiful beach houses, places to eat and shopping. I purchased a beautiful handmade backpack and ate some yummy mango gelato. 

There were many things I enjoyed like surfing, ziplining and hiking though out the forest. But one thing I took away from my trip was PURA VIDA. Pura Vida means pure life… the slogan of Costa Rica. After going to a country where things are simple, people enjoy one anothers company, and truly take in what the world has to offer was a beautiful experience. Being unplugged from social media, and soaking up the sun was a great part of my summer vacation. I recommend the trip to everyone.

A student ready to share.