Guide to: Surviving Your First Big Girl Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Were all in college for the same reason right? To get the education we need to land that dream job right out of schoo! Well I just landed my dream and it’s still a learning experience every day. Based off of my short experience of living the dream, I noticed that we aren’t really getting prepped for the big first day of work! So, here are some of the do’s and don’t’s of surviving your first big girl job.

Introduce yourself

First things first don’t be the new kid. Try and fit in and get to know the people you’re working with. I introduced myself to everyone and also warned them I am the worst with names so they’ll have to tell me their names again in the near future (still don’t know some of them and its been weeks). Building personal relationships with your coworkers and even your boss makes you likeable and a higher chance of staying at that job for awhile. It also makes going to work easier if you and your coworkers can get along and enjoy your time on the job.

Be punctual

Next, be on time but not overly on time. On my first day, I showed up 15 minutes early to be respectful and show I was excited to start… Everyone else showed up 5 minutes early and made fun of me for being the obvious “newbie”. 5-10 minutes early is early enough.

Follow the Rules

Also, be a rule follower. If during your first week of work at a new job you try and bend the rules already it will show your cocky and don’t care. I’ve learned that by asking questions and getting things done the right way you’ll have a much easier time adjusting. It is also an easy way to make a good impression on the boss, and gain their trust. 

Be in love with your job

Finally, love what you do and do what you love. I just got this job and the first couple weeks of working have been nothing but amazing. If there’s any second guessing happening, or you’re already bored after a couple days, don’t be afraid to find work elsewhere. Your job is your career and something you should be excited to do every day. Make sure that’s the case!

I am still surviving after 3 weeks of working my dream job and am loving it. If you follow these steps and love what you do you too, can survive your first big girl job. 

Half Puerto Rican Half Costa Rican with a passion to empower and inspire other women!