Get to Know: Emily and Chase

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

This week, we caught up with Emily who is a member of Her Campus CWU to ask her some questions about Valentines Day strugges. Her and her bae did long distance for valentines day this year and we wanted to know how they make it work. 

How long have you and your boyfriend been together?

We have been together for 1 year and 7 months

How did you guys meet?

We were friends in high school and started to like each other now we are happy, in love, and going on two years of being together.

What is the hardest part about being long distance for Valentine’s Day?

The hardest part of being long distance for Valentine’s Day is not being able to celebrate with the person you love most.

Do you guys exchange gifts? (If yes, how, do you mail each other things, etc)

I will see Chase when we both decide to go home. We are going home this weekend, (Presidents Day weekend) and we will celebrate and exchange gifts then.

How often do you guys see each other during the school year?

Not as much as we would like too, but we try to see each other when we both go home like every 2 to 3 weeks, depending on circumstances of weather and prior obligations. It is really hard to balance everything because Chase goes to school at Grays Harbor Community College and plays on the baseball team. He also has a heavy class schedule because he wants to pursue being a paramedic firefighter. While I am at Central dealing with my classes, being on the CWU women’s club soccer team, working, and writing for Her Campus, it is hard to incorporate each other into our schedules. He will be attending Central in two years to continue to finish his degree and the long distance will be over.

Do you ever regret being long distance?

No I never regret being in a long distance relationship. I would rather have a long distance relationship then be without Chase, he is my best friend and I could not imagine my life without him. Though it is hard to not be able to see each other every day, living separate lives, hours apart, but it will all be worth it in the end.

What is your least favorite part of being in a long distance relationship?

My least favorite part about being in a long distance relationship is not being able to have a face to face conversation and be able to tell him everything that happened throughout my day. We make time to facetime almost every day, but it is not the same as the quality time of being face to face with that person and talking to them. It is also hard not being able to express some of my love languages because of our long distance relationship. Miya had talked about love languages in the article posted yesterday on how your love languages help you determine how you act or love in a relationship with you S.O. My top love language is quality time and physical touch which is hard to accommodate for considering I do not get to see Chase that often.

How do you make each other feel special even though you are far apart?

We always try and make time to talk on the phone or facetime almost every day. When we talk on the phone we tell each other about our day and sometimes even help each other study. It is hard to just text someone when you barely get to see them so talking on the phone and hearing each other’s voices and making each other laugh is how we make each other feel special even though we are far apart. And when we end up seeing each other we try and make the most of what time we have together.

What is your favorite part about your relationship?

My favorite part of mine and Chase’s relationship is that I get to be in love with my best friend. I also love that we can always make each other laugh, the inside jokes we have, always supporting each other, and even when we are busy we always try to make time for each other. I love that even though the long distance is hard and has tested us, it has made our relationship stronger and makes it so that whatever is thrown our way we can through it together.

What about long distance is easier than you were expecting (During holidays like Valentine’s Day)?

The good thing about having school breaks is we get to see each other for most of the major holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. When it comes to Valentine’s Day, we plan on making time to celebrate later.

What about long distance is harder than you were expecting (during holidays like Valentine’s Day)?

Since we get to see each other on major holidays and school breaks like summer, winter, and spring break, it is hard to go from seeing each other every day to barely seeing each other 9 months out of the year for school. Another thing that is hard is trying to plan things. We both have so much going on in our lives that it is hard to plan around that.

How did you make Valentine’s Day just as special even though you are long distance?

Even though we don’t get to see each other on Valentine’s Day, when we see each other this weekend we will celebrate with love, gifts, and hugs and kisses (Not just the chocolate kind ;).

What is your favorite thing about your boyfriend?

I love everything about Chase! I think he is so handsome and kind, but my favorite thing about him is that he can always make me laugh. Even when I am so stressed out or crying he always makes me smile and laugh. I also love that even though we don’t see that much of each other he still makes time for me. He also makes me feel so pretty and loved, even when it’s hard for me to love myself. He is my best friend and I know I can always count on him.