This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

January is Cervical Health Awareness Month! This is a chance to raise awareness about how women can protect themselves from HPV (human papillomavirus) and cervical cancer.

The American Cancer Society defines cervical cancer as a disease in which cancer cells develop in the tissues of the cervix. The cervix, the lower part of the uterus which protrudes into the vagina, connects the body of the uterus to the vagina. Factors like genetics, smoking and sexually transmitted disease like chlamydia and HPV increase women’s risk of cervical cancer. It is the second most common cancer for women, and nearly all cases of cervical cancer can be linked to HPV.

According to the American Cancer Society, HPV is a virus that often causes no symptoms but can cause cervical cancer. It is a virus that most Americans don’t know much about; in fact, it is estimated that at least 50 percent of the reproductive-age population has been infected with one or more types of genital HPV, and an estimated 6 million new infections occur each year. HPV can also lead to anal cancer in both women and men along with other health problems like genital warts, oropharyngeal cancer and recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP).

This is kind of a tough thing to talk about and not necessarily a light topic, but this is an important topic to bring up due to about 79 million Americans currently have HPV. The American Cancer Society estimates in 2018, cervical cancer in the United States will arrive at 13,240 new cases of invasive cervical cancer will be diagnosed, while about 4,170 women will die from cervical cancer.

Cervical cancer was once one of the most common causes of cancer death for American women. The cervical cancer death rate dropped significantly with the increased use of the Pap test, but still could be improved with more resources and information going out to women to prevent all cases caused by cervical cancer or HPV.

Cervical cancer tends to occur in midlife and is most frequently diagnosed in women between the ages of 35 and 44. It rarely develops in women younger than 20. Many older women do not realize that the risk of developing cervical cancer is still present as they age. More than 15% of cases of cervical cancer are found in women over 65 . However, these cancers rarely occur in women who have been getting regular tests to screen for cervical cancer before they were 65. Cervical cancer and HPV can be prevented with regular checkups and vaccines to prevent any chance of any complications

Fortunately, with modern day technology and medical advances, diseases like cervical cancer and HPV can be prevented. By going to your doctor for yearly check ups, taking the pap test and striving to live a healthy life with a balanced diet and exercise, you can avoid any harm that may come to your health.

Stay healthy Her Campus!

HCXO

Sources:

https://www.cancer.org

http://www.nccc-online.org/hpvcervical-cancer/cervical-health-awareness-month/

Her Campus CWU President and Writer Previous Her Campus CWU Events Director Current student at Central Washington University  Major: Public Relations Minor: Advertising, Sports Business, and Interdisplinary Honors I love writing about anything and everything! Politics, fashion, mental health, and many others! I hope to be able to utilize my skills/ endeavors from Her Campus, along with other clubs, organizations, and experience in order to pursue a career in PR.