This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Best friends are like good skincare products: hard to come by, but when you find one that works perfectly, you make sure to not change it. It’s when you start to notice that you’re not smiling like you used to, those conversations that used to keep you both up at night, get shorter, you finally notice that the good times and the laughs you shared weren’t the best you’ve ever had. Then you realize that maybe—just maybe—it’s time to change up your skincare. So, you take the initiative to break up with whom you thought was your best friend forever.fort and communication. When you lose the person whom you take all your selfies with, was a FaceTime away and was always up for what you wanted to do- how exactly do you respond?  

First, you need to identify and understand how & why the breakup needed to happen: It’s not always your fault- friendships are like relationships in the sense that you grow and change as a person, as time goes on. So don’t feel guilty that you’re sprouting into the sunflower you’re destined to be.

Memories aren’t the basis of the future: just because you shared lots of laughs and adventures in the past, doesn’t mean you should deal with an uneventful or unhappy present.

The little things can add up to bigger issues: you likely ignored the little voice in the back of your mind that tried to discredit any upsets or disagreements, because that was your best friend. But how long can you go allowing your inner feelings to get hurt?

Next, you need to take the steps to rebuild the new gap in your friends list; play it cool, keep it neutral.

As you’re beginning to adjust, it’s important to keep neutrality. You and your now ex-bestie likely share mutual friends. Even if you ended on a bad note, it’s important to make sure there’s no animosity if you were to brush paths, while with your other friends. Deleting her off social media can only go so far. Try not talking about the fallout when you don’t need to, it keeps the tensions from rising and limits the possibility of drama brewing.

Once you detach yourself from the situation, it’s time to begin focusing on you!

Step out of your comfort zone: You’ve already taken the first big step to change, why not go a little further? Try out an event you’ve always found interesting, but felt wasn’t your style. This is your time to begin to grow into your interests, and get to know yourself.

Make a lifestyle change: With the change you just made, it can be beneficial to also make changes in other parts of your life. That way, changing up your friend group won’t come as an odd interference. Maybe finally getting that gym membership or a visit to the hair salon for a new style, can ease the transition.

Start thinking about the future: You’re going to make new friends in time, so it’s best to start thinking ahead. Think about what types of things bother you or clash with your personality. Your toxic former Best Friend maybe hid things from you, in the next relationship you make, look for honesty. Be selective with your future choices, new friends are supposed to be individuals who support and encourage you, it’s okay to be specific so that this time around your making the right choice.

Meet new people: Making new friends is almost like stepping into the dating world after a 2-year relationship. Its best to ease into it, but you should also begin to become comfortable with making the first step. When meeting someone, introduce yourself first. If you can see a friendship blossoming, ask him or her what their schedule looks like and see if you can join in. It important to make the first step when meeting new friends, it shows you’re wanting or valuing a possible relationship, which is definitely signaling new changes in your life.

Ending a friendship can be daunting, but it showcases that you are growing as a person. Freeing yourself from a toxic relationship, opens the door for healthier ones. Releasing an old friend can pave the way for more fulfilling and relatable friends. It’s a process that can be confusing, eye-opening and very personal, but you’ll find that it’s gives you the ability to learn about yourself along the way.

Her Campus girls, have you ever lost your BFF? Comment below what, who or how you got over it!

Hi everyone! I am a 20 year old undergraduate student at CWU. I enjoy writing, so HerCampus is a great way for me to expose my skills to the public! Can't wait to see what all of us members have in common!
President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!