This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

source: http://simplymurrayed.com/2017/02/15/murrayed-tip-2-love-language/

As V-Day comes to a close the love in the air still lingers. Whether you just started texting someone new or just celebrated your 3 year anniversary with bae, it can sometimes feel like you and your SO is speaking different languages. We are here to tell you that you probably are!

Love languages are not a new thing, but they have been a hot topic in media lately. There are 5 primary ways that humans give and receive love and affection; words of affirmation, Receiving gifts, physical touch, quality time and acts of service (gift giving).

But love languages don’t just apply to romantic relationships, they apply to all of your relationships like your BFFs and your family! Communication in any relationship is key but as we know, there are more than one way to communicate so it is important that you are using the right one! Here’s a few examples:

Words of Affirmation:

• Responding to Snap Stories

• Words of encouragement and praise in person, over text and on social media

• Taking the time to tell them that you love them

Quality Time:

• Date nights! Nothing like just you and your fave at dinner and a movie

• Do not sit on your phone when you’re hanging out with thee babes

• Eye contact is everything

Physical Touch:

• “bear “ hugs (these lovers love a good hug)

• Touching their back or hand when during a conversation to show that your engaged

• Holding hands, linking arms and cuddling is about as good as it gets

Receiving Gifts:

• Whoever came up with roses and chocolates on Valentine’s Day was definitely one of these.

• Listen to things they mention they like or want and surprise them

• Probably loves surprise parties

Acts of Service:

• Breakfast in bed is about the best it gets for this lover

• Giving them your jacket on a chilly night is a sure winner

• Pays very close attention to the ‘little things’

No matter what age you are, a lot of the time people try to love their partners the way that they want to be loved. This causes conflict because if you love in terms of verbal affirmation but bae loves in terms of gift giving, although you both are showing affection neither will feel fulfilled, which can lead to conflict and frustration. This V-day and everyday, communicate with your person what ways you like to give and receive love and remember to ask the same from them. If you aren’t speaking the same love languages and are not willing to adapt to the other’s, it may be time for a larger conversation.

President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!