photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

All About That Ambiance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

In the winter months that we are heading into, its nice to come home and relax as much as possible after a day of dredging through the snow and sleet. Here are some essentials that at the end of a of long and chilly day will keep your spirits lifted. I relax best when there is a gentle ambiance throughout my home, or at least where I am spending my time. Here are some easy ways to create that romantic, glowing household for yourselves, whether in a dorm room, apartment, or house:

Scents- Wax Melts, Candles & Incense 

To get in the mood for anything, it’s so important to have a nice smell always overwhelming you and the area you’re in! And there are so many scents to choose from. You could pick something smoky, warm, sweet, relaxing, woodsy, fruity or spicy. Any one of these can put you in a different mood, and will help you calm down after a long day. My preferred way of adding smells in my home is with a wax melter, because it doesn’t send unnecessary smoke into the air. Candles and Incense will benefit you just the same if you don’t mind a little smoke!

Oh, and for the holidays, try boiling some orange and rose hips on the stove for a more powerful aroma.

Lighting- Warm Tones, Salt Rock Lamps

Another important part of adding ambiance to your home is with your lighting choices. It is so serene to sit in lighting that doesn’t remind you of a cold, boring classroom. I like to get lamps with shades that give off orange/yellow tones in the glow of their light. Candle light is also very relaxing, and your candles don’t have to be scented if you are just wanting to use it for lighting, though they totally can be! One specific warm light I love to use in my room is a Himalayan salt rock lamp. They come in a few different designs, and are said to have many beneficial qualities. 

Window Treatments- Curtains, Shades & Drapes

There is nothing like a matching set of drapes to bring a whole room together. It’s like the bow on top of a present; it can give the whole area a new feeling and a finishing touch of style and privacy. Not only are curtains nice to look at, but you can find them in really beautiful prints and colors. Some can also help to block outside temperatures, which is an energy efficient option that will help keep you cozy. Curtains are nicer than those awful white blinds you see everywhere, and help you to give your space a personal touch. 

Music- Classical, Piano, Opera & Chill

Of course there is no better way to put yourself in a good mood than to surrounding yourself with great music. In my home we listen to smooth classical music, jazz, and piano playlists. This helps to make our home feel elegant and cool, and always puts us in a good mood. Now if pop or rock is more your thing, definitely choose something that makes your heart happy! But make sure the music is only background noise, so that you can relax with it rather than drown your thoughts out. 

Soft Goods- Plush Blankets, Throws, Accent Pillows & Carpets

I personally love to add little soft pillows and blankets to any room. I like to drape them nicely over the couch which makes it look super cozy and cute, or you can place them in baskets displayed around the room for easy access. I try to choose the most fuzzy, soft blankets in neutral tones. Carpets are also a great way to accent certain areas in a room and make is nicer to walk around on. They come in really diverse designs so you can choose ones that show your unique style.

Of course there are so many ways you can decorate your home to give it your own style and flair, but these are my favorite ways to create a warm ambiance in my own home. I use these things each day to help me feel my most relaxed and happy. HC chapters, do you have any tips to create that perfect ambiance in your college homes? Let us know in the comments below.

Senior at Central Washington University in the heart of Washington State! I'm a business major studying leadership and management.