This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Interpreting dreams is very complicated, and you will never be able to interpret a dream completely. The important thing is to pay attention to the meaning that those symbols and metaphors may have. Think of dreams as a story where almost nothing is literal, everything you are telling is symbolizing something. What? It will only depend on you discovering it. Once you think about it, it is easier to understand dreams.

Based on the aforementioned psychological functions of sleep, which enhance emotional recall, and also involve a way to train our mind to face situations that may frighten us, or avoid, then the interpretation of dreams can help us overcome the anxiety that such circumstances provoke. To achieve this, in the dream itself, or in the conscious interpretation, we would have to face those fears that are being symbolically expressed by our unconscious. It is a straightforward method of analysis, anyone can do it, it has not been practiced for a long time, and it is based precisely on confronting the feared situations, which is the clinical method to overcome fears and phobias. So, to dream, to interpret, and to be paradoxically a little more aware of the relationship between dreams and the unconscious.

For example, if you are awake you are worried about a problem that afflicts you, it is likely that your unconscious will remind you of your dreams. Moreover, it is possible that maybe even help you solve it. Others understand that there is enough evidence to consider that dreams, historically, have had a training task to face the situations feared by the human being. It is that when we sleep, our unconscious does not need to fight with our conscious. Logic or rationality do not challenge our emotional side, and our desires and fears are liberated in a symbolic world and metaphors

We usually get recurring dreams about a situation that’s troubling us. There is a mechanism that, in a certain way, works the other way around: that the adventures that happen to us during dreams serve to learn without needing to come from lived experiences. It may be that children dream of situations that have never starred for it to be used as training, and know what to do next in them if they occur in real life. Perhaps, Reliving a bad experience can be a mechanism for us to memorize it with less pain. But sometimes, In the silence of the night, our most expensive desires are realized. The ugly one marries the handsome one, the boy kisses his teacher, and the scientist discovers the cure for cancer. Everything becomes a reality in a magical world that describes us as we are, that determines what we want, what we hate and what we fear. “It is a disguise of desires, and even anguish, an evocation of something that is in the subconscious,” Freud said that dreams are a product of the unconscious, something like the digestive system of the mind because they release it from multiple charges.

Some do not remember what they have dreamed, but everyone dreams. It has been proven that when a person is awakened every time he dreams and in this way he is prevented from dreaming for several consecutive nights, his mood changes radically and even psychotics. With nightmares is different, with them it is wise to wake the sleeper because he is suffering and you have to give him peace of mind.Dreams are useful tools for personality analysis, but nobody can rely exclusively on them to describe a person. There are universal symbols, but in reality, things are more complicated. “We can dream of the same images, but my dream means one thing for me and another thing for you because we are different and we have different experiences. For example, it is said that dreaming with split teeth is a sign of insecurity, but it is necessary to tell everything the dream to make sense,” says Ana Cecilia Sáenz a psychologist having directed several dream workshops.

Dreams have more symbolic content than real, you have to investigate what mental processes are behind, and a guided specialist can only do this. Many times, the most significant part of the dream is in a detail that we overlook.

An aspiring journalist from Guatemala!