Five Tips for Uncontrollable Curly Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Since I was born I have been blessed with a wonderful head of curly thick hair. Growing up I not only had to make myself enjoy it, but learn how to tame, control, and de-frizz it. Having to walk into the hair salon and say “can you teach me how to do my hair” was one of the best decisions I made when I was in 8th grade. Here are some tips I’ve learned over the years.

1.     Only Brush Your Hair When It Is WET.

With curls, one of the most important decisions you can make is to only brush your hair when it is wet. Unless you are trying to get the look from The Princess Diary’s (pre-make over), then do not take a brush to dry curly hair. It will begin to frizz and become larger than life.

2.     A Bun is Your Friend.

Once you have showered before bed you are faced with the question, what should I do with my hair? When you have curls, you have to make an immediate decision as to whether you are going to “do” your hair or sleep on it wet and wake up with frizz. I have found that a bun is my best friend. Once you have brushed your hair (because its wet you can brush it) twirl it into a low bun and sleep with it like that. That way you wake up with little frizz and your hair is nice and tight.

3.     Gel, Mouse, Hairspray.

Here is the trifecta that all women with curly hair must have. When it comes to gel, you can use it to define your curls. When it is wet and brushed, take pieces of your hair and twist it around your finger with gel in it therefore creating the curls you want. Mouse on the other hand can be used to tame the curls you are given, apply it to keep the curls in tact and not frizz. Hairspray is the queen of all three, apply as much as your heart desires to make sure your hair can look as perfect as you want!

4.     French Braid.

If you don’t know how to French Braid your own hair then get some lessons ASAP. This hairstyle is perfect when the weather decides to hate you, aka rain. It will keep everything in place and tight so you don’t have to worry about flyaways going in every direction. Adding a headband can also help make it stay more in place while also adding a cute accessory.

5.     Learn to LOVE it.

As we know it is a tough life with curly hair, but EMBRACE it. Your hair has life and we have so many options of styling it. Stop taking a straightener to it every day and let the curls breathe. The more you embrace it the more you will learn to have fun with it. 

Caroline is a senior at The Catholic University of America studying Marketing. Along with her studies she is the Co-Founder and Co-Correspondent (Co-Editor-in-Chief) of Her Campus CUA, and works part time at a popular bbq place in downtown Washington, DC.  In her free time she enjoys exploring the city with friends and hunting down the best BLT. She hopes that bringing Her Campus to CUA will give students a new way to express themselves that has not been offered before.