The Day I Lost my Murry & Paul’s Virginity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

I am a first semester senior at CUA and yes, I just tried Murry & Paul’s for the first time this past Sunday. I always had this thing where I didn’t want to go out and try everything my Freshman year. I wanted to come into Senior year and still be excited about certain places and certain things and boy did I really wait until the last minute…my Murry and Paul’s experience was a random, last minute experience. It wasn’t really planned and lets face it: after a Saturday night of going out who knows how everyone will feel on Sunday morning. I knew it was meant to be when everyone easily woke up and strolled on over to Murry & Paul’s on this particular beautiful / sunny Sunday. As we slowly strolled over to this dive type diner, I was made aware that there are FREE COFFEE REFILLS…I nearly shed a tear. Not only did I find out how cheap this place was, the free coffee refills put my over the edge. My first experince was already turning out to be the best experience prior to even stepping foot into the restaurant. 

The place was packed at 11:15 in the morning, a true Brookland goldmine. However, the turnover is pretty quick, and waiting for a table or for food wasn’t much of an issue. The staff is also extremely nice. It seemed like the same man who ran the place also took orders, he quickly came over to us to take an order so when we were seated we didn’t have to wait long for food. I was guided by my friends who suggested what I should order and, after much consideration, I opted for a bacon and cheese omelette with onion / potato hash. Given the large portions and the free coffee refills- I was beyond excitement. 

Disclaimer – this was not my food but I wanted you get my drift 

As soon as the food was placed in front of me I knew it was going to be the experience I had been hoping for. With a dash of ketchup, hot sauce and a good, strong cup of coffee I was ready to dig in. After the first bite I wanted to punch myself in the head for never coming here before. The place reminded me of a Cheers or any other amazing, yet understated local place where everyone truly does ‘know your name.’ I am hoping in the time I have left at CUA, I will become a frequent flyer. The food was so filling that not even halfway, I felt full but boy did I keep on trucking. It wasn’t I until I felt like I was going to actually throw up did I stop myself from contiuning to eat. I felt like I could have stayed at Murry and Paul’s for another hour enjoying everyone’s company and of course contiuning to drink coffee. 

As a side not to anyone reading this, although it might be nice to wait until Senior year to do and try new things in DC…please don’t wait this long to try the Brookland breakfast royalty that is Murry and Paul’s and oh even if you had a rough night and want to sleep until 2 PM, don’t. They are only open until to 2 PM but any ounce of this food will surely bring you back to life!