sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

I recently got into the show Gilmore Girls, I know what you’re thinking…i’m behind the times but as they say its better late then never! While curled up in my bed, watching an epsiode, a comment made by Emily Gimore really struck me. A fight just broke out at the annual friday night dinners at Emily and Richard’s house because Grandpa Richard didn’t feel like Dean was up to Rori standards. Emily and RIchard are discussing the sitation when Emily says something along the lines of, “Of course she’s going to date, she’s 16 years old.” I know this might come across to some as, what’s th problem here but being someone who is 22 years old and have not been in relationship, its comments like that on television that make me feel like something is wrong with myself at times.

When I was younger if you asked me if I would have a boyfriend in high school, I would have said of course, once that didnt happen and if you asked if I thought I would have had at least one college boyfriend I would have said, I hope to God I would have. That was one of my biggest fears growing up, honestly, growing up tp be 22 and never have been in a serious relationship before. I remember a couple of years ago my brother’s girflriend trying to make me feel better by telling me friend in her house, who was a senior at the time in college has never had a boyfriend either. Now I thought to myself, my God, I DO NOT want to be like that girl…and here I am. I soon got over this fear seeing house guys truy are in college, how self absored and the stupid expecations that they have and that they carry. I never thought I was one to say that I was infuenced by a particular person persay or by a particular event but being older I now know that you arent born with certain opinions you are taught them.

I can’t remember a time, until now, seeing an episode and realzing that, that is probably where I got this standard from.  That if i’m 16, OF COURSE I would be dating or that I am of a certain age so OF  COURSE I should have had a boyfriend by now. I think Gilmore Girls is such a cute show and I wish I could spend all my time drinking coffee and watch all 1738 epsidoes in one season but comments like that in television shows is how us girls create such ridiculous standards. Growing up, somewhere down the line I must have heard from a television show or something that dating is expected by a certain age and hinting to the fact I must have something wrong with me if I hadn’t. Maybe Emily Gimore didn’t mean it in the way I am interpreting this but if I am interpreting what she’s saying in this manner I am sure other girls and other women are doing the same thing.