Why You Should Give Yoga a Chance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

5 or so years ago I began on my yoga journey. At the time, I was never planning on making it a major piece of my life, but now I can’t imagine where I would be without it.

High school wasn’t a piece of cake for me. I went through my rebellious years, and if you ask my mom, I’m sure she would tell you I wasn’t the most pleasant human to be around. Looking back on those years where I was feeling incredibly lost, as so many teenagers are, the major thing that got me through it all was yoga.

One fateful day I took one of my mom’s old workout mats and made it my own. It was pink with a floral design, and it was there that I grew into the person I am today.

And now, as I’m midway through my second semester of college, yoga has continued to be consistent presence in my life. When I feel stressed, I can unroll my mat and release all that pent up frustration or confusion or anger from a bad test grade. When I feel homesick, I can go through a familiar flow, and when I close my eyes, I’m transported back to my backyard in the summertime. I can practically hear my dog barking, and I swear my cat curls up at the top of my mat. (Worst thing about college, no pets in the dorms.)

All of this is why I practice yoga, and what will remind me to continue to practice. Yoga is a welcoming practice, the teachers aren’t going to turn you around at the door because you aren’t flexible enough or can’t balance on your nose. With yoga, comes love. A love that is unfamiliar for some of us, as it’s unconditional and full of light and growth.

I would love if each and every person who comes across this article were to give yoga a chance. Whether you’ve been skipping your practice for the past two years, or if you don’t have a clue what downward facing dog is, yoga could be the thing you need. It was for me, and countless others.

Borrow a mat from a friend or take your mom’s like I did, it will become a safe haven for you. A foundation where you can grow and learn more about yourself than you could ever imagine.

And if you’re feeling nervous before going into your first practice, or your first in a while:

If this avocado can do it, so can you!
Caroline grew up on the East Coast, in Maryland, and now calls the Rocky Mountains home. She is a sophomore at the University of Colorado Boulder studying psychology and creative writing. Out of the lecture hall, she teaches vinyasa yoga at the CU Rec Center, enjoys a vegan lifestyle, acts as Recruitment Officer for Buffs for Reproductive Justice, is a member of Alpha Phi - Beta Gamma. You can find more of her journalism work over at TheTab CU Boulder.
Maddi Harris

CU Boulder

Maddi Harris is currently a Sophomore Public Relations major at the Univeristy of Colorado-Boulder. Growing up in New Jersey, her move across the country to Colorado for school has taught Maddi to appreciate the little things about her home state- mainly being the food that is made there. When she's not making use of the beautiful terrain that Colorado has to offer, she can be found decked out in black & gold supporting her fellow buffs on gamedays. In her free time she enjoys catching up on Perez Hilton's daily articles and obsessing over the different wedding dresses featured on TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress."