A Survival Guide for the Holidays if You’re Battling Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Although the holidays can be a joyful and relaxing time, struggling with a mental illness throughout this season can be challenging. For anyone out there battling a mental illness, remember that you are not alone and that you are loved! If you’re ever feeling overwhelmed, check out some tips to help you get through the holiday season.

Remember your feelings are valid. During the holiday season there is an outstanding amount of pressure coming in all sorts of directions to be “jolly” and “spirited”; however, if you’re having a rough time, it’s ok to not exude the “holiday spirit”. Your feelings are completely valid and you shouldn’t be ashamed or guilty about how you feel.

If you are feeling overwhelmed…

Set some time aside for yourself. If you’re like me and need to recharge your energy every once in awhile, remember to set some time to recharge your energies or just to take a small break from whatever activity that you’re participating in. Personally, I like to have a similar spot and/or activity for when I recharge, such as sitting on my bed and listening to music for a while. If you’re not able to go to your usual spot or do some of your usual activities, try to find a quiet place to stay in for a few minutes and do some breathing exercises.

Plan ahead. The holidays are filled with big events such as dinners and parties, if you feel like these might become overwhelming try to plan ahead what you can do to feel better. For example, if you’re sitting at a dinner and start feeling overwhelmed, excuse yourself to go to the bathroom and take some time to breathe. Once you feel better you can go back to dinner and enjoy the rest of your meal.( This is one of my favorite tips for big events!). Also, try to spend time with people that make you feel safe and loved and are always there to support you. Having that extra support can make a huge difference!

Remember to take your meds.Since this is one of the busiest times of the year, it’s easy to forget to take your meds. Try setting al alarm or write it in your planner so you don’t forget.

It’s ok to say no. I cannot stress this enough! Whether you’re going home or visiting your loved ones for the holidays, there is always pressure to see everyone or hang out with all of your friends or family members that you haven’t seen since summer. This usually leads people to commit to too many events to the point where they’re exhausted or where these events become more stressful than fun. To avoid these feelings remember that it’s ok to say “no” or to cancel plans if you’re not feeling up to it! Understandably, there’s always a fear of disappointing a friend or missing out on a family outing but keep in mind your well being comes first.

Self love is key. In between all the holiday madness, make sure to leave room for some self care. Something as simple as putting on a facemask and watching some netflix or taking a luxurious bubble bath can make all the difference! Not only will you feel ahhh-mazing but you’ll also get some much deserved “me-time” to recharge.

The holidays are not only about the big festivities but also a chance to relax and get ready for next semester!.

If you ever need someone to talk to you can call the national 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

XOXO, Grey.

Grace Smith

CU Boulder '20

Grace currently serves as the Her Campus CU Boulder Chapter President. She is honored to lead a team of 50+ badass women who are passionate about creating personable content. When she is not at chapter meetings, you will find Grace with a coffee cup in one hand and her laptop in the other working on articles, running her business, or talking to her mom. Grace is a senior graduating with a BA in History with an emphasis on Medieval Studies. Her research focuses on medieval witchcraft.
Sko Buffs!