The Pro-rape Meetup Affecting Boulder, and Many Other Cities in the US

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

This event was called off and did not take place. We would like to note that the extreme views of a small minority group have no reflection of the local businesses and public places listed in the article. Thank you. 

*please be advised that this article may contain sensitive/triggering material*

This article is to provide information regarding the Pro-Rape convention coming to Boulder and Denver on February 6th. In this article I’m going to do my best to inform you about the organization holding the event, what effects it may have on the community, and ways to stay as safe as you can on campus in the upcoming days.

First, the convention and movement (which will have a total 165 events  being held in 43 countries around the world) is the product of blogger, Daryush Valizadeh. He is known for his controversial books that advocate for the legalization of rape inside a private home.  He is also the creator of a website titled returnofkings, a website that advocates multiple misogynistic agendas surrounding support of rape, anti-feminist movements, so called “modern female privilege”, and the “myth” of rape culture, just to name a few. To expand a little on some of the featured articles on this website, here are their titles, in no particular order.

1.      The Intellectual Inferiority Of Women

2.     “Rape Culture” Was Manufactured To Wage An Unjust War Against Men

3.     Why You Should Avoid Women Who Claim Rape And Sexual Abuse At All Costs

4.     Girls Want Guys to be Honest But Spend Their Whole Lives Lying About Their Looks 

5.     Behave With Girls as you Would With Horses

6.     Men Benefit From Acting Potentially Violent And Explosive Around Women

7.     Always Subtract 40% From Every Woman’s Appearance

8.     Why Women Shouldn’t Work

9.     Men Should Start Recording Sex With a Hidden Camera

10.  Why Women And Gays Should Not Be Allowed In Male-Safe Spaces

No, I am not making this up, and these are only 10, of over 2,000 similar articles that can be found on the website, all of the writers publish under aliases. Believe me I have a lot I would like to say about this organization, but for my own safety I am going to hold my tongue on the subject, for now.

So, now that you have an idea of the type of men we are dealing with here, the type of men who will be attending these conventions, here are some steps you can take to protect yourself against them. Although the Boulder police force is fully aware of the event and will be out in full force, it never hurts to be careful, as 1 out of 4 college age women report surviving a rape or rape attempt at some point in their lifetime, and 95% of rapes on campus go unreported. These steps should be practiced, not only when the potential for assault is brought to your attention, but always.

1.     Be aware of where these events are taking place so you can avoid those areas as much as possible. In Denver, it will be on the south side of Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center at 19th Avenue and Gilpin Street. In Boulder, it will be at North Boulder Park beside the shelter.

2.     Never walk alone, especially at night. Always have friends with you, and always make sure someone knows where you are.

3.     If you need to get somewhere, instead of using public transport ask a friend to drive you.

4.     Have some sort of object that can be used for self defense on your person at all times. If you are unsure of where to purchase such items you can visit http://www.womenonguard.com/ to get a good idea of effective reliable products.

5.     Always know what path you will be taking to get to your destination, in the daytime feel free to scope out the safest way back to your dorm from the library, UMC, etc. You should always take a well lit route with plenty of people around.

6.     Use your cell phone to keep you safe, make sure your phone is always fully charged before leaving your residence, and have your emergency contacts readily available to you, in case of an emergency always dial 911 before contacting anyone else. You can also use a safety app to have someone virtually follow you as you are walking to make sure you arrive safely.

7.     Trust what your instincts are telling you. If you get a weird feeling about walking to your car or across a certain pathway on campus DON’T DO IT.

8.     As always, be aware of what you’re drinking and how much you are drinking. Know your safety limit and have a buddy to keep track of you and check in throughout the night.

Although nothing can 100% guarantee your safety, the biggest step when it comes to staying safe is being aware of your surroundings and trusting your instincts. Although this pro-rape convention is bringing together radical and potentially dangerous individuals, the danger doesn’t disappear once the event is over. From all of us at Her Campus CU Boulder, please stay safe. 

Lauren is currently majoring in Psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences and minoring in Business in the Leeds School of Business, Leadership in the LSM Program, and Women and Gender Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences at The University of Colorado Boulder. On campus Lauren currently holds the position of Her Campus CU Boulder's Chapter President and Campus Correspondent. She also acts as an Aerie Real on campus ambassador, held the position of  Victoria's Secret PINK Campus Rep for CU for the previous two years, and acts as the social media chairman and event coordinator for the PSICHI Psychology Honors Club within CU's Psychology department.  Outside of school Lauren founded and owns Empyreal Photography. When she's not looking through a camera lens or somewhere drinking chai, you can probably find her in a yoga class, petting a dog, or daydreaming about New York City.  
Maddi Harris

CU Boulder

Maddi Harris is currently a Sophomore Public Relations major at the Univeristy of Colorado-Boulder. Growing up in New Jersey, her move across the country to Colorado for school has taught Maddi to appreciate the little things about her home state- mainly being the food that is made there. When she's not making use of the beautiful terrain that Colorado has to offer, she can be found decked out in black & gold supporting her fellow buffs on gamedays. In her free time she enjoys catching up on Perez Hilton's daily articles and obsessing over the different wedding dresses featured on TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress."