Planning The Perfect FriendsGiving (Without All the Holiday Stress)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s that time of year again. A time for giving thanks, appreciating your family and friends, stuffing your faces full of homemade meals, and most importantly, a time to get together with the ones you love. Although this time of year can be great, it’s hard to cope with the stress, especially when you’re planning your own get-together. If you and your friends are planning a “Friendsgiving” and you’re stuck wondering how to make this get together a success, look no further. HerCampus can help you put together a stress-free Friendsgiving that none of you will ever forget with these five necessities.  

The Perfect Menu

It’s just not Thanksgiving – or Friendsgiving – without the right foods. The rules say that the host is responsible for the turkey, but there’s no rule against getting creative with the who makes the sides. Try making a facebook group or a sign-up sheet on Google Docs that can allow your group to sort out who’s bringing what to the table. With this, you can all get your hands dirty in the kitchen and spread out the stress of cooking instead of having one person do it all. It’s an easy way to avoid last-minute-kitchen-meltdowns.

Drinks

Depending on your age group, this could mean a couple of different things. One thing that works for all ages is having a MYOD (make-your-own-drink) bar with a line of drink dispensers in your kitchen. Fill them up with anything you like – apple cider, tea, coffee, water, whatever you think your guests will drink – and you won’t need to worry about cleaning up soda cans or refilling beverages.  

Decorations

To me, this is my favorite part of hosting any get together. Turn to Pinterest for unique (and cheap!) ways to set a table, find a unique centerpiece, and transform your space into a Friendsgiving-worthy party pad. For a quick and artsy table setting trick, take a big roll of white or brown paper and roll it out over your table like a tablecloth, then write everyone’s names with a decorative sharpie in front of their seat. You could even put some pens out for dinner doodling!

The Right Outfit

Thanksgiving is an odd time for fashion, in my opinion. I’m all for getting all dolled up to see family and friends, but at the same time, you end up bloated and sprawled out on the nearest couch for most of the night. The key is finding a look that won’t make you uncomfortable after that third plate of mashed potatoes (no judgment) but that still helps you look put-together. Try a fashionable romper, jumpsuit, or pair of sleek pants made from a softer material like silk or cotton. With these, you can look your best without having to loosen your belt after that last slice of pie (again, no judgment). My go-to outfit when I’m in this situation is the softest sweater I have, paired with black leggings or boyfriend jeans. It works every time.

Bonding Time

My family tradition has always been watching football on Thanksgiving, but that’s not really something I’ve ever been into. If you and your squad are into football, have at it! It’s a great way to let your food settle and hang out. If you’re more like me and my friends, then you’ll want to turn off the TV and find something you can all do together. Here in Boulder, a hike is always just a couple of minutes away, so see if your friends are into a pre-Friendsgiving hike that will help you feel less guilty about your meal later. Turning on some classic holiday movies (A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is my personal favorite) or playing some board or card games can be a fun way to hang out after dinner. And why stay in the season? Last year, my friends and I ended up running to the nearest grocery store and grabbing some leftover pumpkins to carve. It wasn’t October, but it was still loads of fun.

November is a beautiful time of year that people use to remind themselves and each other the things in life we should all be thankful for. There’s no need to fill such a wonderful holiday with so much anxiety. So don’t sweat the small stuff, and instead spend your Friendsgiving relaxing with your homies. These five Friendsgiving hacks will guarantee you and your friend group an awesome evening. Happy Holidays!

Madison Sinsel

CU Boulder '21

Madison is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder, working towards a major in the CMCI school in Strategic Communications on the media design track as well as a minor in fine art. She's been a HerCampus writer since her freshman year, and this year she is also lucky to be an Aerie Ambassador for CU's campus and a Barre3 ambassador for the Boulder studio. At CU Boulder, Madi is focusing on learning graphic design and illustration and has plans to one day become an artistic director and tattoo artist. She's had a love for writing since she was three years old, and is thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus community. Her passions include theatre, matcha lattes, and reading people's tarot cards at parties.
Sko Buffs!