Parking on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s no secret that finding parking on the university of Colorado’s campus is not an easy task and CU is trying to take action to make the process smoother for commuters. The campus might be seeing changes in the very near future. The plan was presented at the Boulder Campus Planning Commission meeting.

The University of Colorado projects a 9.4% increase in student enrollment over the next decade, meaning that more and more students need to get to campus daily.  CU has no choice but to come up with a new plan to accommodate the university’s growing population.  The permit would be limited to only a couple days a week, to encourage students to use alternative transportation other days.  The plan also includes raising the price of parking on campus but suggests giving breaks to students who carpool and employees.  Another change CU might be seeing is the implementation of electronic parking systems that indicate an available spot.  CU parking might become more efficient but it certainly won’t be easier so you might as well pump up your bike tires and dig out your RTD pass from under that pile of clothes.  

Elana Starlord is  a junior at the University of Colorado.  She is majoring in Broadcast News and minoring in Technology, Arts and Media.  During her time at CU she has been the social chair of the CU Club Tennis team and a contributing writer for the University's student newspaper.  Elana loves spending time in the mountains, snowboarding and exploring the Colorado outdoors.  Elana spent summer 2011 in LA as a marketing/events intern at Participant Media.  Currently, she is interning at 303 Magazine in Denver and reports annually for the Boulder International Film Festival.  Whenever Elana has spare time she takes advantage of it by traveling with friends and family.