This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

This is important. Many of us look back on our childhoods with fond memories. Those were good days in which times were so much easier for us. As children, we had so much less to worry about and a much more optimistic view of the world. On our hardest days, it is relieving to look back on a time when we were so innocent and carefree, and to be thankful for that. At least that is the ideal right? Right. Childhood cancer is something that can ruin this. It can destroy a child’s chance of being able to reflect back on this time of their life and remember it fondly.

I recently joined a group on campus that is working tremendously hard to improve the lives of children battling cancer and I want to spread the word.  This group is called Love Your Melon, which is an apparel company run by college students that sells hats, beanies, and shirts. The money from purchased items goes towards Love Your Melon’s mission of putting a hat on every child battling cancer. Not only this, but “fifty percent of the net proceeds from every Love Your Melon product sold will be donated to the Pinky Swear Foundation and CureSearch” (loveyourmelon.com). A hat doesn’t just keep a child’s head warm; it shows them that there are people out there that care about them. That we understand their suffering and want to end it, that we want to do our best to give them the opportunity for their childhood to be a remembered as a time of love and happiness. Again, this is important.

As a member of the CU Boulder Love Your Melon Campus Crew, I encourage you to support this amazing cause and buy a hat or some apparel. It’s forecasted to be a snowy and cold winter here in Boulder, so be sure to keep your own head warm! They also make wonderful gifts for the holidays! At checkout, please remember to click the blue “Select A Campus Crew” button and then select “University of Colorado Campus Crew” so that we can achieve our goal of getting the opportunity to give a hat to a child with cancer in the Denver area on behalf of CU!

Note: The Pinky Swear Foundation works to ease and relieve financial and emotional stresses for the families of children battling cancer. CureSearch is an organization that works to find a cure for children’s cancer. You can read more about these two wonderful organizations here:

Maggie Crean

CU Boulder

CU Boulder '18. CT Native. Strategic Communication Major. 
Maddi Harris

CU Boulder

Maddi Harris is currently a Sophomore Public Relations major at the Univeristy of Colorado-Boulder. Growing up in New Jersey, her move across the country to Colorado for school has taught Maddi to appreciate the little things about her home state- mainly being the food that is made there. When she's not making use of the beautiful terrain that Colorado has to offer, she can be found decked out in black & gold supporting her fellow buffs on gamedays. In her free time she enjoys catching up on Perez Hilton's daily articles and obsessing over the different wedding dresses featured on TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress."