This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

International Day of the Girl has a resounding impact, not only on individuals, but on society as whole. All around the world, strong public figures are stepping up and working to inspire the upcoming generation of leaders, artists, politicians, scientists, and innovators. Because the celebration of the day embraces diversity and education while pushing for action, there were some unique ways in which celebrities and communities decided to apply their passion for empowerment. Below, there is a list of the top ways that people internationally have come together to celebrate. From the links, there are also opportunities to get involved to take a stand yourself. If these don’t inspire you to step up and take action, I don’t know what will.

Beyoncé Premiered Music Video Honoring Challenges of Young Women

Beyoncé stepped up to the challenge of gaining international attention by dropping a music video for her song “Freedom” that depicted girl across the world standing up for themselves and refusing to be limited by their gender. Over the course of 24 hours, the video managed to get over 2.3 MILLION views. The video also featured shocking statistics about the reality of human trafficking and violence against women. This video was produced in coordination with The Global Goals, a group working to foster sustainable development in 3rd world countries.

5K’s All Around the Country Raised Money for Girls Athletic Scholarships  

The Girls Gotta Run Foundation was created to inspire female athletes to become world leaders and innovators. Though they usually sponsor young women out of Ethiopia, they have programs other places in the world as well. So far, they’ve raised $15,000 this year. Today, there was races all over the United States including New York. UNESCO Made Strides Toward Their 2030 Goal

The statistics are astounding and deplorable. The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization set out on a mission in 2011 to revolutionize the lives of women worldwide by 2030.  After looking at the data and realizing that 75% of refugees displaced by war, famine, persecution, and natural disaster are all female, something had to be done. They began a program called “EmPOWER Girls” focuses on emergency response and resilience planning for times of crisis. Through education, stability programs, and training for young women UNESCO hopes to break the cycle of poverty and abuse of women in difficult situations.

Local Sororities are Hosting Philanthropy Events All Month

All over the United States, collegian women in sororities are teaming up to provide service to their communities by hosting huge philanthropic events for community members to participate in. At the University of Colorado Boulder, the sisters of Gamma Phi Beta recently hosted their Kickball tournament which benefited Girls On the Run, which teaches young women to have confidence in themselves and lead healthy lifestyles.

On October 12th, the sisters of Alpha Chi Omega at Boulder will be hosting their “Donut Let Love Hurt Booth” which helps to educate the community about domestic violence. If participants sign their name, agreeing to help stop domestic violence through education and compassion, they will receive a free donut! This event will be happening outside the University Memorial Center from 11 am to 4 pm.

With all these programs and events, there are plenty of ways to become involved and take a stand to support women all over the world! Though social change won’t happen overnight, slow and steady progress still has a huge impact.

Ashley Hopko

CU Boulder

Ashley is a freelance writer and graphic designer based out of Boulder, Colorado. When not in class, she can be found serving on the executive board of Alpha Chi Omega, blogging about her many misadventures, or spending time outdoors.
Sko Buffs!