This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I read the quote, “To get a great a great guy you have to be a great girl” and thought it couldn’t be more true.

I have become extremely tired of all of these girls who are my age, sitting around and honestly thinking they are going to marry rich.  Or those ditzy daydreamers coming to a university to get their “Mrs.” Degree, if you know what I mean.  They might be so lost in the idea that if they throw on some makeup and put a little bounce in their step that they’re going to find some incredible guy to marry.  I’m sure several of you are feeling the same way and maybe want to try to help them out with a little reality check, as I do most all of the time.

While the bimbo marrying a successful man happens on occasion, where NFL players marry the trophy wife or rich old men are looking for a good looking blondie to drape over them all of the time, I think that to get a great guy you have to be a great girl.  To get a smart guy, you have to be a smart girl. To get a social guy you have to be a social girl.  To get an all around outstanding guy, you have to be an all around outstanding girl.

I took a psychology class and learned a very important life lesson:

Opposites DO NOT attract

As my psychology textbook and my not so lovely AP Psychology teacher taught me my senior year of high school, people are attracted based on several things.  Things like how physically close you are to someone, your interests, smells, their looks, and how frequently you see that person.   Those things really do matter in our attraction to people and no, opposites do not attract. In the long run, you need someone to match your interests and life style or else it’s going to fall through the cracks, hit the fan, dilapidate, or however else you would like to say blow up into a bazillion pieces and end in utter catastrophe.

A boy with a high IQ, dreams, aspirations, and motivations may be entertained by a ditzy, silly, materialistic girl for a while, but with time he needs someone who can hold an intellectual conversation to his satisfaction.

A boy with excellent health who loves to adventure, hike, and spend his days in the gym might find it funny or like the contrast between himself and a girl who sits around watching Netlix all day, but over time needs a companion for those long hikes and adventures that cares about their health and well being as well.

My biggest concern for these confused girls, is how do they expect to meet these boys?  Do they expect to find a surgeon that will get them their G-Wagon or a lifetime of adventure by sitting on their couch or at the mall?  To meet an aspiring business man, get a job at a firm or in a business classroom.  If you want to meet an adventurous boy, join a rock climbing club.

Remember in Legally Blonde when Elle Woods worked her butt off to get into Harvard Law School and she met Owen Wilson’s brother and he was an awesome, really smart, and really cool lawyer that also happened to be attractive and at the end of the movie he was going to propose to her?  Case and point.

Megan Boyles

CU Boulder

Hi there! My name is Megan and I am a junior at CU Boulder and loving every second. I am a marketing major with a technology, arts, and media certificate involved in greek like as Alpha Phi's Vice President of Programming and Education. When I'm not studying in the business school library or planning a sorority sisterhood event you can find me eating some sushi, or going to concerts, or hiking in beautiful Boulder.  Cute mug, boy, and corgi enthusiast.  Enjoy!
Maddi Harris

CU Boulder

Maddi Harris is currently a Sophomore Public Relations major at the Univeristy of Colorado-Boulder. Growing up in New Jersey, her move across the country to Colorado for school has taught Maddi to appreciate the little things about her home state- mainly being the food that is made there. When she's not making use of the beautiful terrain that Colorado has to offer, she can be found decked out in black & gold supporting her fellow buffs on gamedays. In her free time she enjoys catching up on Perez Hilton's daily articles and obsessing over the different wedding dresses featured on TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress."