courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Friends are Family, Not Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

What a weird concept friends are.  You find these people walking around and say hey, I think you’re really cool and I want to do really cool things next to you, with you. And bada bing bada boom, you have a new best friend.

Fortunately for me, upon arriving to school, I met someone who tolerated me and become my friend that lead to another and another and another and ultimately a group of the most wonderfully awkward and hilarious girls I’ve ever met.

Months of laughter and eating out and jokes and wardrobe changes galore lead to a bond that I never quite thought I would have with any friend, and especially not five others.

And suddenly when I looked upon my beautiful, smiling friends, I realized that they weren’t my friends, they were my family.

And not because we were all sisters of the same sorority.

We truly are the best of friends.

When you come to college, it’s a shock of being around your mom and your dad and your siblings and your dog to a place where suddenly everyone and everything is new.  You have to start from scratch with your friendships and your schedule and the foods you’re going to eat at the dining hall. 

When you find these friends, it’s amazing how they can become your family, your support system, and the people you need as you embark on this scary thing called real life.

We have slap happy moments where no one knows what’s going on, we cry about our grades and the boy who isn’t worth our time, and we bicker worse than my siblings at home do.

And at the end of every day, when I climb into my bunk bed of the Princess Quad, I know that they would do anything for me and I would do anything for them.

We laugh and we fight and we share and we care and we know that no one else could ever put up with us eating ten cupcakes in one sitting and our obsession with small fluffy dogs.

We congratulate for getting a free Starbucks drink from the cute barista that works there and we agree that the new girl he is with has hideous eyebrows. Definitely not on fleek.

We help with the printer when it’s jammed and I start freaking out and we bicker over who spilled on who’s dress at what party we went to that one time with that one boy.

We cry when someone else is crying, though we may not even know why, and we can even talk about how gross our hair has gotten after a week without washing it.

We help each other with homework and really tell them if that dress makes them look big, because that’s really what we are asking.

And above all else we love each other, because we know we have to, and because that’s what family is for. And secretly we don’t think anyone else could quite as much.

Megan Boyles

CU Boulder

Hi there! My name is Megan and I am a junior at CU Boulder and loving every second. I am a marketing major with a technology, arts, and media certificate involved in greek like as Alpha Phi's Vice President of Programming and Education. When I'm not studying in the business school library or planning a sorority sisterhood event you can find me eating some sushi, or going to concerts, or hiking in beautiful Boulder.  Cute mug, boy, and corgi enthusiast.  Enjoy!
Maddi Harris

CU Boulder

Maddi Harris is currently a Sophomore Public Relations major at the Univeristy of Colorado-Boulder. Growing up in New Jersey, her move across the country to Colorado for school has taught Maddi to appreciate the little things about her home state- mainly being the food that is made there. When she's not making use of the beautiful terrain that Colorado has to offer, she can be found decked out in black & gold supporting her fellow buffs on gamedays. In her free time she enjoys catching up on Perez Hilton's daily articles and obsessing over the different wedding dresses featured on TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress."