Boulder Babes in the Big Apple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

You’ve watched Gossip Girl. You’ve followed Carrie and Big’s relationship in Sex and the City. You’ve seen that ball drop in Times Square at least eighteen times at this point. The question is: What’s New York like when you’re from the west coast? If you’re traveling to the Big Apple anytime soon, we’ve got you covered. Where to find the best coffee, brunch, shopping, and where to rest your pretty little head after a long day pounding your kitten heels around the streets of the concrete jungle. It’s the land of possibility, LA’s alter-ego, and worlds away from our Boulder Bubble, yet there’s no denying it: New York is a dream come true.

Satisfy Every Craving

• Cha Cha Matcha – Talk about a girly-girl’s dream come true. Pink decor, matcha infused foods, vegan options, & located in SoHo, Cha Cha Matcha is the trendiest place you’ll probably ever experience.

• The Butcher’s Daughter – If you’re into health food, you’ll adore this spot. There are a couple nestled in throughout the city, but we went to the one in SoHo. Only 10 minutes from our hotel, it was the perfect spot to eat before going up to Broadway for a show. The portion size was perfect, the juice was spectacular, and we ended up coming back the next day for some coffee to escape the rain.

• Le Pain Quotidien – Looking for a picture perfect french bakery? Well lucky, you can find one of these on almost every other block. Not only does this sweet bakery have some to die for avocado toast, they have a special type of nutella, it’s better than the original thing, and you can find a jar at every table ready and waiting. Even better, you can buy a jar to go on your way out, and take your pick of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or white chocolate. My go to order is always a warm belgian waffle with fresh berries and cream, a side of paris ham with aged gruyère, and a hot honey lemon and ginger drink.  

• DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections – A dream come true, cookie dough that’s safe to eat, and comes on a cone! (or in a cup, if you’re that person) DŌ is a tiny little polka dot shop nestles into the village amidst the NYU campus, a short walk away from washington square park. This dessert hot spot opened up just a few short weeks ago, so when we got there the line was out the door! But this cookie dough was 100% worth the wait.

• Cafe Metro -If you’re looking for a quick, easy, and healthy place to grab lunch in the city this is a great go-to. At Cafe Metro you can custom build a bowl of salad or pasta to your heart’s content, grab a snapple, and be on your way within 15 minutes!

• Bluestone Lane – You’ve probably seen this one on your Instagram feed if someone you know lives in or around the city. If you’re a brunch-geek, this is a must. Healthy food, vegan and vegetarian options, and a cozy ambience make Bluestone Lane the most aesthetically pleasing spot in the city. Plus, it’s from Australia, so it’s a twist from your classic brunch spot. Don’t be afraid to try new things when you’re in NYC!

• Champ’s Diner – This little joint is in Brooklyn, and worth the trek from Manhattan. Try their confetti pancakes, or anything, really, and you won’t be disappointed. It’s the quintessential Brooklyn diner, with the vegan New Yorker in mind.

Tuck Yourself In

• The Broome SoHo – Formerly an artist’s loft, now a 14 bedroom hotel located just off the heart of SoHo. It’s within walking distance of all the shops and some of the best cafes/restaurants. There’s a cafe that is always open for your caffeine needs, complimentary breakfast, an open-air terrace, and the rooms aren’t white brick walls and shoe box sized like some New York spots you’ll find at a similar rate.

• The Empire Hotel – Attention upper east siders, gossip girl here. If you are a die hard GG fan, a Blake Lively enthusiast, or are just really in the mood to indulge in your adolescent love for Chuck Bass (which, let’s be honest, you’re still not completely over) the Empire Hotel is a super fun place to stay in the city for a night or two. The front of the hotel is picture perfect, you can almost imagine Chuck and Blair scheming in the little park across the street, the lobby has the exact same staircase, furnishings, and huge gold curtains like it did in the TV series, and the infamous bar is only lacking one thing: Chuck Bass with a scotch in his hand. While your favorite characters may not be lurking around every corner you can buy drinks with their namesakes, The S, the B, the Lonely Boy or the “I’m Chuck Bass.” The Empire is just a few short blocks away from Columbus Circle, and room service has some great french fries.

Shop ‘Til You Drop

• LF – If you’re trendy & like to wear things ahead of the crowd, this is the place for you. You’ve probably seen it on your Insta, and (shocker, I know) they do have stores outside of California! Pop in here and get inspired with next season’s latest trends, this season.

• Brandy Melville – For the comfy-chic girl, Brandy is a must stop shop. Their store in SoHo stretches from one side of the block to the other, and the walls are covered in comfy tanks, cotton shorts, and adorable band tees.

• Free People – If you’re a FP fan you need to visit their wholesale showroom on 218 W. 40th Street which is 1 of 4 Free People wholesale showrooms that you can find in the US. It’s two massive floors of sweet bohemian goodness.

• Anthropologie – There are a couple dotted throughout the city, and no matter which one you stumble upon, you won’t be disappointed. They’re all at least three stories and filled with all your Anthro faves – bedding, coffee mugs, boho dresses, and flowery phone cases.

• TopShop – We popped into the one in SoHo, not too far from The Broome, and we’re quite impressed. Caroline just wanted some fun tights to slip into for a night out, and realized they had way more to offer than the usual TopShop you’ll find in the US of A. I bet the UK would even be impressed with this TopShop.

• Urban Outfitters Times Square – Everything’s bigger in Texas? More like everything’s bigger in NYC. This Urban had it’s own cafe, three floors, and took up about half the block. Definitely stash away a decent amount of time to spend here.

• American Two Shot – Again, NYC loves pairing trendy shops with coffee shops. This little spot in SoHo is like a mini-UO, but way more off the beaten path.

• Good Records NYC – this rockin’ record shop can be found in a bright pink building just a short few blocks from the East Village. Stocking records from the 1950s to present day, there’s something for everyone’s music taste in this quaint little music shop.

For the Adventurous Boulder Babe

• New Museum – MoMa’s baby, and it deserves to be cherised. You could spend a good two hours hear appreciating whatever exhibit is rotating through at the time, and it’s not far from The Butcher’s Daughter if you want to make a day of it.

• SoHo – Stay here, sleep here, even just pass through here, and you’ll feel just how eclectic and magnificent NYC can be.

• Grand Central Terminal – This is one of those places that causes you to have a little bit of an out of body experience. Not only is the architecture of the building enough to make your jaw drop (on multiple occasions) the mere thought of how many people have been in and out of this famous transportation hub since it first opened in 1871 is almost enough to give you a headache.

• Chelsea/Flatiron District – If you wanna experience New York on a more personal level Chelsea is the place to go. The streets are lined with classic looking townhomes and apartments, and the air in this part of the city is a little more peaceful. The morning and afternoon in Chelsea also included 24+ dog sightings, so, that was fantastic.

• Williamsburg, Brooklyn – Do you even dare cross over the bridge into another burrough? Truth is, it’s one of the raddest spots in the whole city. Leave Manhattan behind, and you’ll find a different kind of magic in Williamsburg.

• Columbus Circle – Columbus Circle can be found right on the corner of the South and West sides of central park, it is a great go to spot for some mainstream shopping and photo ops, you will also see a bunch of horse drawn carriages in this part of town.

• Broadway Shows – Going to a play in the city is a must. Carrie did it, Blair did it, and now you just have to. Don’t let the sold out Hamilton steer you away, there are plenty of smaller shows that have tickets available within the next two years.

Well, that’s all for now, Boulderites. Stay tuned for more of our adventures in the city that never sleeps. XOXO, Her Campus

Lauren is currently majoring in Psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences and minoring in Business in the Leeds School of Business, Leadership in the LSM Program, and Women and Gender Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences at The University of Colorado Boulder. On campus Lauren currently holds the position of Her Campus CU Boulder's Chapter President and Campus Correspondent. She also acts as an Aerie Real on campus ambassador, held the position of  Victoria's Secret PINK Campus Rep for CU for the previous two years, and acts as the social media chairman and event coordinator for the PSICHI Psychology Honors Club within CU's Psychology department.  Outside of school Lauren founded and owns Empyreal Photography. When she's not looking through a camera lens or somewhere drinking chai, you can probably find her in a yoga class, petting a dog, or daydreaming about New York City.  
Caroline grew up on the East Coast, in Maryland, and now calls the Rocky Mountains home. She is a sophomore at the University of Colorado Boulder studying psychology and creative writing. Out of the lecture hall, she teaches vinyasa yoga at the CU Rec Center, enjoys a vegan lifestyle, acts as Recruitment Officer for Buffs for Reproductive Justice, is a member of Alpha Phi - Beta Gamma. You can find more of her journalism work over at TheTab CU Boulder.