Life > Experiences

The Best CU Dorms to Live in Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

CU Boulder boasts a beautifully designed campus, multiple dining halls and a diverse array of student dorms. First-year students should genuinely be excited about the required stay in the dorms at CU Boulder. Three of my favorites are the dorms surrounding Farrand Field on central campus, the Kittredge living area around the Kitt ponds, and the Sewall dorm. Here’s why:

Farrand Hall

My favorite residence hall on central campus is Farrand Hall, which sits at the base of Farrand Field. Farrand has a strong history on campus and is even rumored to be haunted. Don’t let the rumors fool you, though! This dorm comes complete with spacious balcony rooms on the top floor facing the Flatirons that capture a perfect view of WelcomeFest each August. Also, a grab-and-go on the first floor and a small store to spend munch money and campus cash leave Farrand residents with all the essentials covered. Can’t secure a room in Farrand? I recommend Libby or Baker right next door. Libby comes with its own dining hall open Monday through Friday – not to mention the best breakfast – while Baker was just renovated and re-opened last Fall. 

Kittredge (Kitt)

Next, I have a spot in my heart for the Kittredge residence area, known as Kitt for short. I lived in in Smith Hall my freshman year, which is in the Kitt community. Although it’s a bit of a walk from most classrooms and the hill, these dorms are close to the Law Library, which is much less crowded than Norlin and great for studying. If you’re hungry, the Kitt dorms are all the closest you can get to the newest and biggest dining hall, the C4C. The C4C has the most variety of all the dining halls and includes a grab-and-go as well as the Weather-tech Café – open until 2 a.m. every day and serves the best calzones! Kitt dorms all have stunning views of the ponds, complete with beautiful plants and wildlife (The squirrels are super friendly!). One of my favorite things about Kitt is how new and spacious the dorm rooms are. Most rooms are renovated and two to three times the size of the average dorm on central campus. If you love having a spacious living area paired with a nice view, the Kitt is the perfect fit! 

Sewall

Finally, Sewall is the dorm I would have loved to live in if I hadn’t lived in Smith my freshman year. Located on central campus, this dorm is isolated from those centered around Farrand Field. However, it’s the closest of all the dorms to the hill and is right next to the Rec Center. Sewall is the most convenient if you want to have a short walk to most classes or to the library. Like most dorms on central campus, Sewall is older and could use a renovation in a few years. Adjacent to the beautiful varsity lake, this residence hall is a hidden gem. Sewall is home one of my favorite dining halls with great dinner options as well as a grab-and-go and small store to buy essentials and snacks. This dorm has it all: a great social scene, a short walk to class, Norlin library or the Rec (no more excuses to not work out). For a balanced living situation, Sewall is ideal. 

Although dorm life can be an adjustment, CU’s beautifully designed residence halls make all those walks to the communal showers and living with a complete stranger enjoyable. Depending on when you send in your housing application, you can secure a spot in some of the most beautiful, functional college living situations in the nation. I can assure you that your first-year experience will be full of new, exciting moments and memories no matter where you end up, and CU will soon feel like home! 

Sko Buffs!