Alyx Chapman: Frank Lloyd Wright meets Baby Spice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Meet Alyx Chapman.  She’s an architecture major with a strawberry-shaped birthmark— it’s red, too. A member of the Pan-Hellenic Council, Chapman serves as the Director of Philanthropy and Service as well as the Event Director of Dance Marathon. She’s the brain behind this year’s CU Dance Marathon, set for January 28, 2012.  She and the team she’s assembled are working hard to make this year’s event the best yet.  

CU Dance Marathon raises money for the Children’s Hospital in Denver.  Last year the event raised $46,000.  This year, Chapman’s hoping for $75,000. It’s a 12-hour event for children from Children’s Hospital.  Each child has his or her own color and team.  The team competes all day, playing hourly themes games.  One of the most exciting will be a Harry Potter-themed game—broom races and seeking the golden snitch, of course. 

The last hour or two will be a “power hour.”  By then the children and their families will have gone and the event will switch gears into a school-wide dance party—which we’re already excited about. 

In high school, Chapman volunteered at a facility for children whose parents had been recently arrested.  The children were able to stay at a safe location—where Chapman worked once a month for two years.  “It was strange to see them [the kids] come and go,” she noted.  Ever since then, Chapman’s been alive with the volunteering buzz, as she calls it. 

Chapman is afraid of the notorious raccoons of Boulder, has been skiing since she was three-years-old and snowboarding since she was 12-years-old.   When she was little, she wanted to be an interior designer or an oceanographer.  Now, she’s hoping her architecture major will lead her to design residences—interiors as well as landscaping.  Her favorite movie?  Maybe “Domino” or “Taken”—she loves action thrillers.  But a movie everyone should see?  “Tucker: The Man and His Dream.” 
She’s a fast-driving, fun-loving, Florence-bound, Scottsdale, Arizona native.  Look for Alyx around campus!  

Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!