stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips to Stay Motivated to Workout This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

With winter quickly approaching, the cold weather can make it difficult to remain motivated to get to the gym. You’re tired, unmotivated, but more importantly, it’s freezing outside and the last thing you want to do is leave the warmth of your house and work out. Here are 5 tips to get you to workout even when the unbearable weather hits! 

1. Find a Buddy!

Most things can be made more fun when you have a friend by your side! Grab a workout partner to help you stay motivated and hold you accountable. You can encourage each other to work out as often as you like and find fun partner workouts to do together! The gym can also be intimidating sometimes and going with someone can help with your nerves. There’s also no harm in a little friendly competition, so grab your workout buddy and get to work! 2. Dress Accordingly

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing choices” is a quote to live by. If you are like many college students who have to walk to the gym then you know that, well… it sucks, especially if it’s during the winter. It’s important to dress the part! Hats or ear warmers are perfect for you walk to the rec center or if you like to run outside. Next, invest in leggings. They can be expensive, but usually worth it for a good pair that won’t stretch, become see-thru, and keep you warm. Finally, a high quality, warm workout hoodie or jacket can really come in handy for your commute or outside work out.

3. Find or Make a Killer Playlist Everything’s better with music! If you’re someone who loves creating your own playlists then this should be easy for you. But, if you’re not a playlist connoisseur there are plenty of pre-made playlists on Spotify and YouTube!

4. See the Big Picture 

Remember why you started working out. Whatever you workout goal is, remind yourself why you began in the first place. Remembering your goals will keep you motivated to continue to work towards them! Another tip is to set workout goals you want to achieve by the next season. In this case, try making a spring workout goal and come up with an idea of where you want to be by the end of the winter season. 

5. Celebrate Your Achievements and Treat Yourself!

It’s important to remember that you can go at your own pace; even what feels like your smallest achievements are still achievements nonetheless! Be content with the work you do, big or small, and even treat yourself occasionally! Don’t feel bad for splurging on a treat now and then. Most of all, be proud of yourself!

When the cold weather comes it’s hard not to stay cooped up and indoors all day long. On top of that, finding motivation to work out seems impossible. Keep these tips in mind and remember you can do anything you set your mind to!

xoxo,

Ella

Ella Zeiler

CU Boulder

Ella is currently an English major with a minor in Journalism at the University of Colorado Boulder.  Outside of school Ella has a love for all things writing and hopes to write or edit for a magazine one day. She shares a passion for fashion, photography and travel. In her free time she's either out exploring, finding the next photo spot, or daydreaming about living in Paris.  "Sometimes I would buy vogue instead of dinner, I just felt it fed me more." - Carrie Bradshaw 
Sko Buffs!