20 Things That Probably Happened When You Watched La La Land

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

20 Things That Probably Happened When You Watched La La Land For The First Time

*ALERT – SPOILERS AHEAD*

By now everyone has heard of the most recent cinematic work of art to hit the big screen, La La Land. It was nominated for 14 Oscar Awards (tying it with Titanic) and in my personal opinion, won the award for most devastating film of all time. La La Land is without a doubt one for the books. The big books. The big, Hollywood, every family for the next 8 generations will watch this movie, books. La La Land is like the biggest emotional roller coaster you’ve ever been on, i’m talking the kind of ride where you throw up in the flower pot on your way out, and then run back to get in line for the 9th time.

Here are 20 things that probably happened the first time you watched La La Land

1. When the movie first started and everyone jumped out of their cars on the 405 and started singing you probably thought “what in the- ” and asked your neighbor if you guys were in the right theater.

2. But then you saw Ryan Gosling drive by in his convertible and you were like “there he is, that’s my baaaaby”

3. This part made you regret every single party you’ve ever been to because they simply paled in comparison. Was Jay Gatsby brought to life to throw this party? I mean yeah, probably.

4. You VOWED to do something this petty @ the next boy who wrongs you

5. The first thing this scene made you think of was how weird it was to carry tap shoes with you wherever you go, and then it made you vow to start carrying tap shoes with you wherever you go.

6. *watches La La Lan once*  * Is suddenly passionate about moving to LA, marrying a jazz pianist, tap dancing, and becoming a famous actress*

7. “I wish I was that hat. He can do no wrong. Look at that form. 14/10”

8. You probably weren’t thinking so much at this part, I know it was all static fuzz for me

9. “If the love don’t feel like floating into the sky at the Griffith Observatory I don’t want it”

10. When you first saw Keith you were like “is that John Legend?”

11. And when he started to sing you were like “ok yeah that’s John Legend”

12. You went into AMC like “I don’t need no man” but during this scene you were like “I don’t need no man but if I met Sebastian and he asked me to move into his tiny LA apartment and wear his button up shirts around I wouldn’t say no”

13. During that part where you saw Sebastian see Mia in the crowd at his first big gig your little heart skipped a beat, and you said to yourself, “their dreams are finally coming true” (Get it? City of stars? No? Ok whatever)

14. Then came this scene, which only confirmed your previous suspicions “YES YES YES”

15. Until 13 seconds later when, “Oh, oh no”

16. And when the lights turned on after Mia’s big one woman production and you saw that empty reserved chair you stood up in your seat, threw your sour patch kids at the screen and yelled “WHY!” at the top of your lungs. Okay maybe you didn’t, but you wanted to.

17. Then, after 7.5 miuntes of pure, raw, paralyzing heartbreak you heard that car horn blair and order was once again restored, the universe was balanced, all was right with the world, until;

18. “Wait, none of that was real? Or was it real? Is there some alternate univerise where this all works out? Okay then which univerise is real? Can I move to that universe instead? Is she just going to leave with that other man? I don’t CARE if he is her husband, what about miA AND SEBASTIAN’S BABY, THEY BOTH COULD HAVE HAD SUCCESSFUL CAREERS AND BEEN IN LOVE, EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE.”

19. So you pretty much left the theatre like

20. And immediately downloaded the soundtrack when you got in the car,

“Who’s crying? I’m not crying. You’re crying. Don’t look at me.”

Wanna visit LA and live out your La La Land induced heartbreak? Get some closure? Or not? This website has mapped out all of the must see La La Land locations in Cali for you

Lauren is currently majoring in Psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences and minoring in Business in the Leeds School of Business, Leadership in the LSM Program, and Women and Gender Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences at The University of Colorado Boulder. On campus Lauren currently holds the position of Her Campus CU Boulder's Chapter President and Campus Correspondent. She also acts as an Aerie Real on campus ambassador, held the position of  Victoria's Secret PINK Campus Rep for CU for the previous two years, and acts as the social media chairman and event coordinator for the PSICHI Psychology Honors Club within CU's Psychology department.  Outside of school Lauren founded and owns Empyreal Photography. When she's not looking through a camera lens or somewhere drinking chai, you can probably find her in a yoga class, petting a dog, or daydreaming about New York City.